Lead Video Quality Engineer
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 775634BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Mar. 04, 2021
Job Summary:Department/Group Overview:
The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department’s responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Operations team provides operational and procedural support for our partner products, including system health monitoring and incident management, live and VOD streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
As a Lead Streaming Media Engineer you will work to improve our video encoding pipeline and provide the highest quality experience to our end users by assessing the encoded quality of a large library of content spanning more than 100 years. Through collaboration with media engineers and operations teams, you will study the impact of current codec and encoding implementations using programmatic analysis and "golden eyes" viewing of content with the goal of improving the quality of our video streams. This position requires a highly skilled individual with strong creative and analytic skills and passion for video quality, coding and processing technologies.
- Investigate quality degradation and playback issues
- Perform encoding experiments to determine areas for improvement
- Establish Best Practices for assessing video quality across a diverse content catalog
- Research new video analysis and encoding technologies
- Design and implement procedures for assessing video quality
- Conduct video quality experiments on existing content
- Contribute to optimization of video processing
- Expertise with video compression standards, such as H.264, HEVC, AV1, etc.
- Experienced in assessing visual quality using both objective metrics and subjective techniques
- Solid understanding of video processing algorithms such as scaling, noise reduction, tone mapping, etc
- Solid understanding of advanced and emerging video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision
- Excellent problem solving, and debugging skills
- Programming skills or familiarity with a programming language preferred
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work constructively within a large organization
- Able to identify visual quality artifacts
- Able to relate compression artifacts to encoding parameters
- Bachelors in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent
- Masters preferred
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.