Manager, Broadcast Software Engineering
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 774505BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Feb. 25, 2021
Job Summary:Department/Group Overview:
Broadcast Infrastructure is a group of talented individuals responsible for the initial phase of the DSS live ecosystem. This phase includes large scale complex broadcast systems that perform signal acquisition, processing, and normalization of broadcast signals through to the input of ABR (web) encoders. These broadcast systems support baseband, IP, or hybrid workflows, and are located at DSS on-prem or cloud multimedia datacenters and partner locations around the world.
The Broadcast Infrastructure team is involved with the planning, procurement, design, development, installation, testing, evaluation, and life-cycle support for new and existing DSS broadcast systems. Broadcast Infrastructure consists of 4 primary teams: Design, Project Management, Systems, and Software. Each team provides a unique and valuable skill set to the organization.
The Broadcast Infrastructure Software Engineer Manager is accountable for the performance and results of a team within own specialty. The candidate will adapt departmental plans and priorities to address resource and operational challenges. Their decisions are guided by policies, procedures and business plan, and receives guidance from their manager. The candidate will also provide technical guidance to employees, colleagues and internal customers.
The candidate will also write software for use by various internal teams, and to control/monitor various broadcast systems located at multimedia datacenters across North American and at other locations around the world. The candidate will ensure work is completed in a timely manner, and interface with various departments to determine software requirements.
- Supervise other software developers
- Refers strategic issues to leader and presents state of specific compliance programs to leadership
- Addresses escalations for compliance or audit
- Create automated test harnesses
- Produce accurate and easily readable documentation for any new software or procedures
- Developing employees including recruiting, development, performance evaluation, and direction of priorities
- Leads large scale software projects
- Ability to efficiently resolve software development challenges with moderate to high degrees of complexity and provides input to less experienced employees to follow
- Manage projects with little to no supervisory oversight or review
- Creates established procedures to complete complex assignments or ensure less experience employees follow
- Ascertain software requirements for various projects
- Provide feedback and technical reports to management on the progress and status of assigned projects
- Perform other Multimedia related special assignments, which may include travel to remote sites
- Provide professional, courteous and timely technical support
- Assist other Engineers in project research, design, planning, implementation, procedural documentation and training
- Troubleshoot program and system malfunctions to restore normal functioning.
- Consult with management to ensure agreement on system principles.
- Develop, document and revise system design procedures, test procedures, and quality standards.
- Define the goals of the system and devise flow charts and diagrams describing logical operational steps of programs.
- Provide staff and users with assistance solving computer related problems, such as malfunctions and program problems.
- Written communication and organization skills
- Programming skills in Java and C/C++
- Basic networking experience
- API development experience
- Own software programs and system goals within the team and within the organization (intra-organization) with less straightforward solutions.
- Contribute to the evolution of the teams software engineering practices, recommending changes in development, coding, maintenance and system standards
- Efficiently supports owned software throughout the lifecycle.
- Performs technical maintenance and troubleshooting for complex systems.
- Reviews code to uphold standards for readability and maintainability.
- Developing a strong knowledge base in one or two key areas in software engineering.
- Understanding of audio, video and network signal flows a plus
- Typically has 8 or more years of experience in a technical field.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred, or equivalent training or work experience
- 3-5 years of experience working in a lead capacity and providing day to day direction for more junior staff
- Has working knowledge of technological components utilized by the organization.
- Working experience in technology components utilized by the company
- Extensive experience developing software applications
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field preferred, or equivalent training or work experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.