Manager, Internal Communications - Ad SalesApply NowApply Later Job ID 7118745820220403 Location New York, New York, United States / Santa Monica, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 20, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About our Organization:
Driven by the imagination and innovation that has defined The Walt Disney Company for nearly 100 years, Disney Advertising seeks to build the most advanced ad portfolio powered by technology and data, while delivering storytelling excellence and creativity at every turn. Disney Advertising is committed to the evolution of the global media ecosystem by prioritizing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion as a business imperative, and as a key to greater representation in storytelling.
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) manages Disney’s vast content commercialization and distribution ecosystem that delivers the Company’s unparalleled storytelling to audiences worldwide. This entails P&L management and operation of the Company’s portfolio of streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and the upcoming international general entertainment offering, Star; its linear television channels and the ABC-owned stations; theatrical film distribution; content licensing and distribution, including Disney Music Group and the legendary El Capitan Theatre; global advertising sales; and the technology that powers these groups. Using a wealth of consumer insights from across The Walt Disney Company, DMED makes content investment and distribution decisions to maximize audience engagement and commercial impact across platforms, collaborating with creative leaders in Disney’s Studios, General Entertainment, and Sports organizations.
About the role:
The Disney Advertising Communications team is seeking an experienced Manager, Internal Communications who will be an integral part of a rapidly growing communications team, working collaboratively to manage Internal Coms' broad range of activities and day-to-day operations for Disney Advertising, as well as support and align on key DMED initiatives and announcements in collaboration with the Disney Streaming group, platforms and technology teams, and direct-to-consumer businesses.
The Manager of Internal Communications will serve as a key member of the Disney Advertising Communications team with primary responsibilities that include internal communications and employee engagement including, but not limited to, the creation of org-wide and cross-functional memos for executives, support around and spearheading of internal events like town halls and team meetings, and a proactive attitude and approach to engaging Disney Advertising’s internal constituents through creativity and out-of-the-box tactics.
The role requires strategic thinking; outstanding organization and planning; and a strong ability to collaborate and communicate with internal, cross-functional teams and stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicator, has experience working with senior executives, and enjoys working on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
Although this role focuses specifically on Internal Communications, we are seeking a communicator who understands the intersection of External and Internal Communications, and the value one brings to the other. Disney Advertising is a fast-paced, dynamic business with client and market-facing implications for executives, so a communicator with deep experience in navigating organizational complexity while exacting change and driving actionable results is critical to success.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Creative, detail-oriented team player and manager who is curious about all areas of the business
- Has a passion for storytelling and connecting with audiences through high-quality content.
- Has experience developing innovative communications programs within an Internal Communications team, preferably at a large enterprise
- Has a point of view and plan on how to leverage communications tools and processes to help elevate Disney’s Internal Communications efforts.
Disney Advertising also puts on a host of events – both external and internal – for clients and industry constituents, and this role will ensure employees within DAS are aware, and engaged, around org-wide events and activities when applicable, by collaborating with larger communications team members to promote.
The ideal candidate will also support the Disney Advertising communications team and serve as the main liaison for opportunities that amplify diverse and underrepresented voices, while proactively identifying executives for internal awards, speaking engagements and opportunities across DMED and The Walt Disney Company at large.
Responsibilities and Duties of the Role:
- Develop and implement an internal communications strategy and projects for Disney Advertising and, as needed, other DMED businesses. Provide guidance in planning communications vehicles and editorial content while designing strategies to increase employee connection and engagement – all while ensuring alignment with DMED and TWDC messaging and tone.
- Oversee work of Communications Specialist in managing internal employee events, driving editorial communications that educate and inspire, and building relationships across all parts of the business.
- Develop creative content ideas and strategies while managing editorial content for the Disney Streaming Playback newsletter and other vehicles.
- Represent Disney Advertising Communications Team for cross-company communication initiatives, including participation in the monthly Internal Communications Council meetings. Coordinate with stakeholders from other segments to align messaging and timing of messages supporting company initiatives.
- Monitor trends and best practices in internal communications to identify opportunities to improve DMED’s communications vehicles and strategies. Seek out best practices from peers inside and outside the Company.
- Provide support for employee and corporate events and activations as needed.
Required Education & Experience:
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in communications, journalism, public relations or marketing coordination and/or management
- BA or BS required, preferably with a background in Communications, Writing, Marketing or other related field
- Proficient in Word, PowerPoint/KeyNote, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to create effective partnerships at all levels of the organization, including with senior executives. Proven ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others across a matrixed organization. Highly professional demeanor and diplomatic skills.
- Organized and efficient with a proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, manage multiple demands, think strategically and solve problems
- Demonstrated analytical processing, critical-thinking, decision-making, problem-solving and follow-through skills.
- Flexible, responsive with the ability to assess and refine strategies and tactics to better align with changing business strategies.
- Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills with maturity and confidence in working with colleagues at all levels including executives
- Ability to clearly articulate messages and adapt tone/style to a variety of audiences
- Ability to take direction from multiple stakeholders, prioritize deadlines and effectively work through challenges in a fast-paced environment
- Positive attitude, personable and approachable, self-motivated
- Excellent grammar skills with copy editing / proof reading experience preferred. Writing samples of articles and/or other internal communications projects that demonstrates skills, creativity and mastery of grammar rules
- Self-starter with ability to work independently
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal
- Ability to manage confidential information
- Ability to relocate or already be located in Santa Monica, CA or NY, NY area.
- Proficiency with web, photo and other multimedia software (such as WordPress, etc.)
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & Intl, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & Intl is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.