Manager, Product Design, Internal Tools
New York, NY - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 738260BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jan. 22, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Streaming Services is changing how people watch sports, movies and esports. Fans demand content on their own terms: anywhere, anytime on any device. Our mission is to create the best entertainment experience and push the envelope of what’s possible. It’s an incredibly exciting time to work in media as more content creators seek how to engage their audience directly with compelling user experiences. The design team has a pivotal role in giving form to those ideas and continually improve these apps that millions of people use every day.
We are looking for an emerging design leader to oversee the team designing the applications that run our businesses. We own & operate some of the biggest media properties in the world; and those properties require powerful internal tools to succeed. Our ideal candidate will be well versed in applications for power users in the B2B or commercial space. The team uses lean-ux methods - including users in the design process - to drive an iterative and evidence-based design. This role reports to the Senior Director of UX & Design in New York. We are an organization that celebrates diversity and inclusion at every level and invite applications from under-represented groups.
- Lead by example by demonstrating exceptional design judgement and a drive for excellence.
- Manage and mentor a small team (3-5) of designers ranging from associate to senior level.
- Coach the team in using a user-centered design process, understanding our users and our customers, and letting their needs guide us to the best solutions. It’s important for us to know we are solving for real people and not just the competition or stakeholders.
- Facilitate the successful delivery of our work from concept to deployment.
- Represent their team & their design decisions to stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Work across design and Disney Streaming services to create strong relationships with other leads in product, engineering and research.
- Identify areas for improvement our operations in people development, process & workflow, and design technology. Partner with design ops in creating an action plan.
- Look towards building sustainable and scalable solutions by developing digital design patterns and libraries.
- Collaborate with our research team to validate new designs & products and uncover new opportunities. Engage your engineering colleagues, product owners and stakeholders in the research process.
- You have 8+ years experience designing & shipping software.
- Experience leading and managing a team of designers through at least one full product development cycle from concept to launch to iteration.
- You are a “full-stack” designer with master craftsmanship in multiple skills.
- You have a strong ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short and long-term needs.
- You are an engaging storyteller who can speak to different audiences and self-edit.
- You can translate strategies into inspiring concepts and successful executions.
- You embrace change and ambiguity as an opportunity for design to lead product development with new features and user goals.
- Overly communicative and has mature toolbox of communication and teamwork styles.
- You have a passion for evolving the design practice; it’s people, processes and tools
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.