Mgr Software Engineering
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 765314BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Sep. 08, 2020
The Web Software Engineering Team at Disney Streaming Services (DSS) is an international team with offices in New York, San Francisco, and the Netherlands. We are responsible for building and maintaining the web applications for Disney+, ESPN+, NHL and more.
We are looking for a talented front-end engineering leader to join and lead our Web Marketing team. We are a team that creates large-scale, highly-performant web applications for Disney+ and more. This team transforms large, complex datasets into fast and responsive user interfaces used by millions of people.
As the Manager of Software Engineering for our Web Marketing team, you will look after a team of engineers working across varying marketing initiatives for Disney+. As their leader, you will mentor and guide, as well as assist in the tactical execution at the ground level. This is not an individual contributor role, but you are still expected to have a deep understanding of the technology we build, and the tools we use to do so. You will participate in code reviews and help with larger architectural decision making, while also managing the operations of your teams.
Our team pushes the boundaries of what is possible on the client. We work alongside systems engineers, services engineers and project managers in a fast-paced environment to help marketers execute performance marketing strategies via AB testing to optimize UX and increase conversion metrics.
● Be accountable for the performance and results of your web marketing team
● Make decisions and provide leadership in high pressure and time sensitive situations,
guided by resource availability and functional objectives
● Facilitate communication and healthy collaboration between your team and the
marketing, product, design, QA and business teams we work closely with
● Exhibit expert knowledge to analyze the intricacies of complex technical challenges; stay
informed of industry innovations; provide new perspectives on existing solutions
● Regularly report up on status and team health, while identifying your team’s gaps and
needs for your leadership
● Provide technical direction and mentorship to your team members
● Work closely with your project management counterparts to manage team timelines and
● Help with the recruitment and hiring for your team
● Work on a modern stack including React, NodeJS, Amazon Web Services
● Build out new features using an internal CMS tool to support marketing editorial teams
● Build and setup AB testing efforts in a rapid performance marketing focused environment
● 5+ years experience building web applications.
● Experience in a NodeJS application development environment.
GitHub, CSS Preprocessors, Styled Components, Single Page Application frameworks
and Module Bundlers (Webpack etc.)
● Proven ability to integrate with service APIs and/or SDKs
● Experience with streaming video, e-commerce, large data applications and analytics suites
● Hands on experience with React/Redux in a production application
● Experience with Webpack
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.