News Editor, ABC News Digital (Freelance)Apply NowApply Later Job ID 964766BR Location New York, New York, United States / Burbank, California, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Apr. 28, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
The person in this role will be responsible for line editing text stories that are published on ABCNews.com, working with reporters, senior leaders and our legal and standards teams. This person will also write and report breaking news stories as needed.
Though a key part of the role is managing text stories, the person in this role is also responsible for coordinating other key editorial elements and liaising with the wider newsgathering operation as well as broadcast units, the Digital video team, and the audience development team, which oversees our platforms and social media.
The ideal candidate is someone who is a thoughtful editor and writer, and has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, is a self-starter and does well under pressure.
The hours are generally 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET, Sunday through Thursday, though the hours may change on occasion due to coverage needs. The person in this role may work fully remotely, though they can also opt to work in our New York headquarters office in a hybrid model of up to 2 days a week in the office if they wish.
- Edit multiple text articles per day
- Work with the newsgathering desk to determine what is reportable
- Collaborate with reporters, producers, editors, bookers and correspondents
- When necessary, file breaking news stories
- Coordinate news coverage across different teams
- Make editorial judgments on a minute-to-minute basis
- Minimum 3 years’ experience editing for a digital news outlet
- Ability to write on deadline with speed and accuracy
- Proven experience handling breaking news
- Willingness and desire to collaborate across different teams
- Ability to balance priorities, multiple projects and tasks
- Brings energy and positivity to the group dynamic
- Has experience running point on major breaking news
- Experience collaborating with different teams
- Excellent communication skills
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call General Entertainment Content.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.