Already applied?View Dashboard
News Editor-OvernightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 545311BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Media Networks Brand Disney ABC Television Group Date posted 04/11/2018
Job Summary:ABC News is seeking a News Editor to join our growing Digital team.
The person in this role will be leading the charge for ABC News Digital during the overnight hours. The News Editor will be responsible for assigning, writing and responding to news and other stories that develop during the shift. The News Editor is responsible for overseeing the work of the overnight reporting team, and must be comfortable leading the charge.
Although a key part of the role is managing text stories, the person in this role is also responsible for coordinating other key editorial elements and liaising with the wider newsgathering operation as well as broadcast units and audience development teams. He or she will handle alerting key editorial team members to breaking news.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for helping the dayside team set the day’s agenda by providing a detailed handover note, including story pitches and ideas about how to take breaking news stories forward.
The ideal candidate is someone who has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, is a self-starter and does well under pressure.
The role is based in New York City, and the hours are from 11 p.m. ET to 8 a.m. ET.
- Work with the newsgathering desk to determine what is reportable
- Collaborate with reporters, producers, editors, bookers and correspondents
- When necessary, file breaking news stories
- Coordinate news coverage across different teams
- Make editorial judgments on a minute-to-minute basis
- Minimum 3 years’ experience editing for a digital news outlet
- Must be willing to work overnight hours
- Ability to write on deadline with speed and accuracy
- Proven experience handling breaking news
- Willingness and desire to collaborate across different teams
- Ability to balance priorities, multiple projects and tasks
- Brings energy and positivity to the group dynamic
- Has experience running point on major breaking news
- Experience collaborating with different teams
- Excellent communication skills
- BA or BS from a 4 year accredited college or university or equivalent experience
- Master’s degree in journalism from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience
Additional Information:Employer--Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.