Senior Software Engineer (Caching)
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 735513BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jan. 07, 2020
You’ll have the opportunity to work in a dynamic, fast-paced and sophisticated environment and be responsible for developing, executing and architecting solutions that are part of the future of content distribution. Working with unparalleled access to some of the brightest minds in streaming media and the future of video, you’ll have the opportunity to learn and grow like nowhere else. For the role of Sr. Software Engineer, Disney Streaming Services is looking for a seasoned expert in caching technology and CDN edge services that can join as a senior member of our Content Distribution team.
- Develop next generation caching and content delivery software
- Analyzing and optimizing performance of large scale content distribution systems
- Contributing to architecture for video distribution pipelines
- Write and automate unit and system tests
- Create code for improved automation of caching solutions, reporting, and analysis
- Work with edge service APIs to prototype integrated solutions focused around Content Distribution
- Actively participate and guide caching architecture discussions with edge service providers
- Provide guidance on next generation technology and real world implications to CDNs and caching architecture
- Explore current and next generation DNS based distribution methodologies focused on streaming video
- Actively review performance metric across a variety of edge providers and find areas to optimize performance
- 10+ years of experience and deep knowledge of HTTP/DNS/Internet Architecture
- Virtualization (KVM, Containers)
- Cloud Technologies (AWS, GCP)
- Web Serving (NGINX, HAProxy)
- Caching (Varnish)
- Content Delivery Network Experience (Akamai, Limelight, Level 3, etc)
- Understanding of streaming video protocols (HLS) and how it interacts with caching
- Knowledge of video players and impact on cache logic
- Active technical involvement in the CDN industry
- Passion for Troubleshooting and Debugging
- Experience with code development
- Comfort with APIs
- Bachelors degree in engineering or computer science
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.