Principal Product Designer, International
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763346BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 22, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Streaming Services is changing how people watch movies, shows, sports and live events. Our mission is to create the best entertainment experience and push the envelope of what’s possible. It’s an incredibly exciting time to work in streaming media as more content creators seek how to engage their audience with compelling user experiences. The design team has a pivotal role in giving form to those ideas and continually improving these apps that people use every day.
The DSS design team is a growing practice of multi-disciplinary creators and storytellers. We are passionate about building high-quality, innovative and authentic experiences that connect people with the content they love. We work where art meets science, exploring ideas by using the power of design to make the invisible visible. We believe in doing things that matter, cultivating a culture of diverse perspectives and collaboration. We celebrate our wins, but never settle.
Responsibilities:We are looking for a Principal Product Designer to join our expanding International team. This is an opportunity to collaborate with the very best in design, product and technology to help shape industry-leading products used by millions across the world.
As the Principal Product Designer, International, you will identify the needs of real users through research, ideation, prototyping, testing, iterating and testing again until you arrive at a solution that exceeds user expectations. Your influence will not only have a major impact on this team, but collectively, your work will impact and inspire millions worldwide. This role calls for a full-stack skillset, with expertise across multiple facets of product design, ranging from interaction design to user research to UI design.
Our ideal Principal Product Designer, International will:
- Follow a user-centered, data-driven design process to clearly understand the motivations and behaviors of our international users, and design intuitive solutions that help them meet their goals
- Partner closely with multi-disciplinary teams, including research, engineering, product and business to find elegant and practical solutions
- Partner with researchers to validate solutions and practice evidence-based design
- Lead as an international subject matter expert for the rest of the design team, providing design guidance, documenting and socializing best practices
- Provide thought leadership to develop the right design strategy, and use UX methodologies to bring value to the user and the business
- Design unique and complex multi-platform products
- Rapidly concept multiple solutions at varied levels of fidelity, from sketches to wireframes to interactive prototypes, instinctively knowing the proper level of fidelity required to communicate your point of view and elicit the right type of feedback for the project stage
- Adhere to and help shape our design system and brand guidelines, ensuring a high-level of quality, establishing a consistent look and feel throughout the product, and only diverging when the need is validated
- Work well autonomously, self-managing and taking full ownership of your work, from discovery to production, but also able to take direction and work within parameters
- Actively participate in feedback loops from design crits to 1:1s Possess excellent design judgement in evaluating a design.
- Embrace change and ambiguity, viewing it as an opportunity not a blocker
- Driven by the need to meet our users where they are in order to understand cultural norms, behavior and motivations, acknowledging that context is fundamental in designing the right solution that takes a product from desirable to meaningful
- Collaborative, working well within a team environment, while also able to function as an individual contributor with self-direction and accountability
- Adaptable and receptive to design feedback
- Comfortable speaking with internal stakeholders, with strong interpersonal and consulting skills, can articulate design goals and priorities and how to achieve them
- Deadline-oriented and efficient, possessing strong time management skills
- Organized and detail-oriented, carefully reviewing your work at all stages
- Proactive in communicating and documenting project progress, status, and workload
- Up-to-date with emerging design trends and technologies, eager to learn and share with the design team, or has set their own trends / patented technologies
- 12+ years of experience designing at consumer-focused tech or media companies
- A portfolio showcasing your process for problem-solving and interaction design, with particular attention to localization, inclusivity and accessibility best practices
- Been recognized in the Design community as a leader or otherwise awarded?
- Experience designing for multiple platforms, particularly connected devices, a huge plus
- Experience creating minimum viable products, utilizing rapid prototyping and iterative design techniques
- Expert skills in Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, InVision, Abstract, Zeplin
- Proficiency with prototyping (Principle, Framer, Proto.io) and animation (After Effects) software a plus
- Proficiency in HTML/CSS a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong conceptual and design sense, and able to execute across a range of digital experiences
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related field required
Additional Information:About The Walt Disney Company: The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Imagine a career with an organization that brings smiles to millions every day. Imagine working with people whose passion for what they do is simply indescribable. We are The Walt Disney
Company, live with a rich legacy of innovation, entertainment, and lifelong memories. With our vast array of both businesses and professionals, you’ll have the opportunity to join a team that’s beloved around the world, and to find out how it feels to love what you do. We invite you to discover for yourself why a career with Disney is the opportunity you‘ve been looking for.
Disney Streaming Services is an equal opportunity employer – Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.