Principal Product Manager, Live PersonalizationApply NowApply Later Job ID 959683BR Location New York, New York, United States / Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Apr. 12, 2022
Creating a unique and relevant experience for each and every user is fundamental to Disney magic. We aim to tailor our products for every user, quickly connecting them to the content they’ll love in meaningful, new ways. Delivering a personalized experience is both art and science, relying on content expertise, machine learning, human psychology, and rapid experimentation. The work we do has a huge impact – Disney Streaming enables experiences for over 196 million users globally across Disney+, Hulu, Star+ and ESPN+. And we’re just getting started.
This principal product manager will shape the strategy and roadmap for Disney Streaming’s live personalization products. These algorithms are woven throughout the different Disney streaming applications and are core to the magic we create for users. This product leader will drive the strategy and execution of problem spaces such as: recommending live sports and news for markets including the US and LatAm and recommending ephemeral content in real-time.
Whether it’s solving for specific user cohorts or experimenting with cutting-edge machine learning, this is a position that will have an incredibly broad impact on the customer experience as well as the Disney Streaming business.
- Own the strategy and roadmap for Live Personalization by understanding our subscribers’ and Disney’s needs across a deep content catalog, increasingly diverse subscriber base and broader Disney ecosystem
- Establish and execute a long-term product strategy and roadmap across our Disney+, Hulu, Star+, and ESPN+ products
- Partner closely with Engineering, Content Programming, Machine Learning, Data Analytics and Experimentation Platform teams to deliver personalization features
- Serve as a thought leader in the personalization and recommendations space, advocating for best practices and sharing learning across the organization.
- Deliver business impact through our personalization products. We are a team that can (and does) nerd out about algorithms, but also land huge business impact such as increasing subscriber engagement and retention
- Pitch and assess new initiatives with the critical lens of an investor. We have limited bandwidth and plenty of opportunities to improve. What do we do first?
- Minimum of 7 years of experience as a product manager or highly relevant experience
- Experience managing consumer products leveraging machine learning (e.g. recommendation systems) delivering to millions of users and multiple cross-team dependencies
- Data-informed mindset and proven ability to use data to explore all aspects of a problem and analyze solutions, familiar with A/B experimentation methods and hypothesis-driven product development
- Customer empathy, low-ego leadership
- Systems thinker, proactive rather than reactive, structured, think from first principles
- Familiarity with machine learning, ability to map customer problems to ML solutions, experience working directly with ML teams
- Clear communication skills and storytelling ability. Ability to adjust your style based upon your audience - from content studios like Pixar to machine learning engineers
- Excellent presentation skills and clear, logical communication of product strategy, roadmap, and technical concepts to engineering as well as leadership
- Ability to partner with different functions to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact. Strategic thinking and ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithm and product development.
- Passion for media & entertainment
- Intellectual curiosity - in this fast-evolving space, we often find ourselves reading the latest research paper or playing with a new proof-of-concept.
- Nice to have: Minimum of 1 year of experience managing and mentoring product managers
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.