Principal Software EngApply NowApply Later Job ID 985248BR Location New York, New York, United States / Raleigh, North Carolina, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted May 24, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid Preferred, Remote Possible
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely. A remote opportunity may be possible for qualified candidates under certain circumstances and, if granted, the employee would work remotely on an ongoing basis.
The Principal Software Engineer, Disney Streaming Advanced Research reports to the Director of Software Engineering, Advanced Research. You will be responsible for leading a team of engineers from a variety of disciplines on the successful delivery and operation of systems related to our advanced research projects. You will provide leadership and technical expertise in software development lifecycle and architecture for systems programming. This role will have up to 50% hands-on software engineering, as well as management responsibilities.
We will work on a wide array of projects in different phases of research & deployment into production. You will be instrumental in helping some of our later-phase projects stabilize and deliver to production teams. Your expertise in software architecture and systems programming will come to bear as you build a team to deliver best-in-class solutions to cutting edge problems.
You will be working with small groups of Machine Vison & ML, and Computer Graphics & Data Science research engineers. The research group is developing disruptive technology with a passion for innovative, leading-edge technology. This is a fast-paced environment where our objective is to create prototype technology that can be passed on to other groups for operations and scalability.
- Be responsible for the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, maintenance, and support)
- Design, build, deploy, and operate solutions capable of processing a large number of concurrent requests quickly, correctly, and reliably
- Work within a cross functional team of engineers building software in a collaborative & agile development environment
- Support the team in continuously improving the organization’s tools and best practices for owning and operating software
- Guide engineers through mentorship and career advocacy. Provide goals, career path, promotion guidance, motivation to your direct reports.
- Encourage individual decision-making amongst your team to support growth opportunities
- Foster an open environment of mutual support and engineering effectiveness
- Collaborate with product teams, engineering teams to design and build solutions
- Escalate and report project status, progress, risks to your leadership
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation, and experimentation
- Coach engineers on best practices and technical concepts
- Influence and drive software engineering and architecture best practices and standards within the team and wider organization
- Recruit and hire talented software engineers.
- 1+ years of management experience
- Have successfully managed software engineering teams to deliver reliable, fault-tolerant, scalable software services
- Skilled in the software development life cycle, software architecture and writing software
- Experience building multiple concurrent projects of high technical complexity
- Comfortable developing a solution in the chaos of a research team
- Docker / Kubernetes experience
- A working understanding of machine learning
- Highly competent in C++, Rust, Java, and/or Python
- Experience building media capture systems and media pipelines on Linux
- GStreamer experience
- Media Technology experience, including cameras, video post-production, encoding, video engineering
Required EducationBachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related field) or equivalent work experience
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.