Principal Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10026899 Location New York, New York, United States / United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Oct. 28, 2022
This role is considered remote, which means the employee will work remotely on an ongoing basis and will not have an assigned workspace at a Company designated location.
Disney Streaming encompasses the teams leading the Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Star+ streaming applications and services within the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution group. We sit at the intersection between entertainment, sports, and technology and seek to connect viewers with the stories they love, while driving the streaming industry forward with consumer-first innovation.
The Content & Experience Delivery (CXD) team is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to assist with building the systems that provide data at scale to viewers across Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, and Star+ (DSS). The Disney content catalog is one of the largest in the world and a lot goes into creating it. Our content delivery systems are excellent at presenting the catalog to our viewers reliably and speedily. We build and operate low latency, high availability services that power the content browsing experiences for hundreds of millions of viewers across the world. We're looking for a principal engineer who can contribute to the design of systems that can support billions of requests every day in support of providing a delightful content browsing experience to our viewers.
There's a lot that goes into delivering content to Disney Streaming viewers across the world. Disney Streaming teams need to manage ratings, licensing, localization, promotional content, content protection, content metadata, and much more. Content & Experience delivery is the nexus of many content data domains within Disney Streaming. We are the data backbone that powers that browsing experience for all Disney Streaming services. As a Principal Engineer in CXD you'll design systems that improve how we gather and serve data at scale to all Disney Streaming viewers.
What you will do:
- You'll meet with engineering and product teams to understand their goals
- You'll consult and brainstorm with other engineering leaders
- You'll design systems that meet the objectives of Disney Streaming.
- You'll prototype solutions that prove out your ideas.
- You'll get feedback on your ideas through detailed RFCs
- You'll lead engineering teams through implementation in support of your designs.
- You'll consult with engineering teams to help them identify solutions to the problems they are solving.
- You'll define and tweak operational models to support highly available and performant systems.
What to bring:
- 10+ years of related experience crafting large-scale, highly available Java services utilizing various database and messaging technologies.
- Minimum BS/BA in Computer Science/Engineering or related field
- Strong programming skills in Java and other object-oriented languages, and a strong grasp of computer science fundamentals.
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Champion cross-team projects.
- Coach and mentor other specialists on the team to ensure that all software utilizes DSS and industry best practices for scalable, fault tolerant system design.
- Collaborate efficiently with product management, technical program management, operations, and other engineering teams to capture requirements, drive implementation, and provide transparency.
- A broad perspective on problem-solving.
- Strong communication skills and a desire to share your knowledge with team members and others at DSS.
Nice to have:
- Cloud native system design
- Experience deploying and scaling within a cloud infrastructure.
- Experience directly managing and mentoring a team
Location: New York, NY preferred but also open to US Remote for the right candidate
The hiring range for this remote position is $156,374 to $209,770 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.