Producer, ABC News, Health and Medical Reporting UnitApply Now Apply Later Job ID 10078121 Location New York, New York, United States Business ABC News Date posted Jan. 29, 2024
ABC News’ Medical Unit is seeking a full-time Producer who is comfortable translating complex scientific research into accessible, understandable information for a mass audience with the utmost journalistic and medical integrity! The ideal candidate is a rock-solid self-starter who is comfortable talking with medical doctors, public health officials and healthcare consumers alike. The priority of the position will be the delivery of fact-based, accurate editorial information to platforms across ABC News for reporting while supporting the Med Units many obligations. The role also includes pitching and producing content from start to finish. You should have a passion for empowering viewers with health-related information through inspiring personal narratives with an eye for visual storytelling.
- Review and edit medical studies, articles and scripts for absolute accuracy and appropriate context.
- Participate in daily pitch meetings and consult on medical news with ABC. News broadcast shows including World News Tonight and Good Morning America.
- Produce your own content for digital, broadcast and audio platforms across ABC News.
- Manage the prestigious medical resident elective program, a unique program designed to help doctors hone their journalism skills, including recruiting, scheduling, onboarding and training of resident physicians.
- Write and distribute a daily internal memo of new journal study reviews, including studies still under embargo.
- Respond to breaking science and medical news to determine if airworthy and deliver crucial context across the network.
- Write or edit digital medical articles and scripts across multiple platforms within the ABC News network.
- Collaborating across ABC specialized units (climate, investigative, business)
- 3 years or more of related experience.
- Embraces teamwork but can also thrive working independently.
- Remain unruffled under tight deadlines and a fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Assess and evaluate the impact and practical implications of studies.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Familiar with consumer health, wellness and medical outlets and journals.
- Flexible work schedule in breaking news situations.
- Prior experience investigating medical studies for methodology, statistical significance, bias, limitations, causation, correlation, or association.
- A medical writer or producer with extensive experience is a plus
- An experienced researcher with a Masters, PhD or MD.
- Maintain genuine curiosity and a knack for finding answers
- Prior TV production experience
- A desire to manage and educate budding physician-journalists
- Bachelor’s degree
ABC News is America’s No. 1 news source, providing straightforward, fact-driven journalism across broadcast, streaming, digital and audio. ABC’s award-winning programs include “Good Morning America,” “World News Tonight with David Muir,” “Nightline,” “20/20,” “This Week with George Stephanopoulos,” “GMA3: What You Need to Know,” and “The View”. Other platforms include ABC News Live, the network’s 24/7 streaming channel; ABC News Studios, a premium, narrative nonfiction original production house; ABC News Digital, comprised of a diverse audience of more than 53 million monthly average users; ABC Audio, the premier source for radio news and industry-leading podcasts; FiveThirtyEight, renowned data journalism organization; and NewsOne, the affiliate news service. Based in New York City, ABC News is comprised of three U.S. bureaus and eight international bureaus, with a presence in more than 20 countries around the world.
The hiring range for this position in New York, NY is $104,200 to $143,200 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About ABC News:
The Disney Entertainment Television group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC News.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.