Production Hair SupervisorApply NowApply Later Job ID 822569BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Theatrical Group Date posted Jul. 06, 2021
Disney Theatrical Group (DTG) is seeking a Production Hair Supervisor for the US Companies of The Lion King. In this role you will provide recommendations for hair care, maintenance, and assist with hair preparations for wigs for all cast members on Broadway and the Rafiki (North American) tour. This position reports to the General Manager of The Lion King and is full time, with some nights and weekends consistent with a theater schedule and regular travel within the US.
- Work alongside the Designer and the Designer’s Associates
- Assist performers with hair preps
- Create a personalized regimen to protect each performer's hair
- Consult with existing company members regarding their hair care and show prep
- Train and advise Hair Department and performers in protective techniques and proper maintenance of performers’ hair. Including natural, highly textured hair.
- Assist Hair department and performers on natural hair questions or concerns that may arise
- Recommend appropriate products for hair maintenance
- Identify and liaise with hair salons/barbershops in New York and in Touring cities on haircuts for the male dance ensemble
- Conduct regular check ins with existing company members regarding their hair
- Recommend and order products and maintain inventory for all hair textures for both productions
- Ongoing travel to the US Touring production
- Extensive knowledge of and experience styling all hair types and textures represented by the performers on the Lion King, especially with natural hair
- Preferably previous experience as a hairstylist in a salon, film/tv, or theatrical setting
- Being a member of IATSE Local 798 (Hair) or prepared to join the union
- Product knowledge for various hair types and textures
- Management experience
- Ability to work closely with other creative individuals with respect and harmony
- Possess a friendly, empathetic and collaborative spirit with a passion for excellence
- Great communication skills
- Commitment to actively being part of and supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Demonstrating inclusive behavior and maintaining a safe and professional working environment that fulfills Disney Theatrical Group’s diversity and inclusion efforts (e.g., recognizing and interrupting microaggressions & biases, participates in equity, diversity & inclusion, anti-harassment, and any other anti-bias training and workshops as required etc.)
Additional Information:DTG is committed to providing the highest quality opportunities for the widest, most diverse group of talented professionals throughout their career trajectory. We encourage applications from individuals whose backgrounds are currently underrepresented in the field of theater, inclusive of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity or expression, disability status, and sexual orientation.
About Disney Theatrical Group:
The Disney Theatrical Group, a division of The Walt Disney Studios, is among the world’s most successful commercial theatre enterprises, producing and licensing live entertainment productions and events around the globe. Its nine Broadway titles, including the current Broadway productions of The Lion King, Aladdin and this year’s Frozen, have been seen by over 160 million theatergoers worldwide. The division also delivers live shows through its license to Feld Entertainment, producer of Disney on Ice and Marvel Universe Live. Additionally, the division licenses full-length and junior and kids adapted titles for regional, school and community theatre productions.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Theatrical Group Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Theatrical Group.
Buena Vista Theatrical Group Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.