Already applied?View Dashboard
Reporter, FiveThirtyEightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 698191BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Aug. 21, 2019
Traditional reporting skills are a major plus. Data literacy -- how to find it, how to ask questions of it, how to know its limits -- is a must. Computational and statistical skills, such as the ability to code in languages like R and STATA, are helpful but not necessary. The ideal candidate will have a history of producing high-impact journalism for digital or print audiences. Enthusiasm for working closely with colleagues with different skill sets (visual journalists, for example) and a range of experience levels and journalistic backgrounds is also a must. This position is full-time.
- Write a mix of short and longer features each month.
- Work with the editing and interactive staff to develop and execute major projects.
- Work with graphics editors, as well as audio and video producers.
- Consult with senior editing staff and other colleagues about FiveThirtyEight’s political coverage in general.
- Minimum of five years’ experience as a reporter, editor or similar position at a print or online news outlet
- Several years of experience writing and reporting on U.S. politics and federal and state elections in a data-driven way for a wide audience.
- Strong knowledge of data-journalism techniques, including database management and statistical analysis
- Experience covering politics, elections, race and/or technology
Required EducationBachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.