Senior Communications Engineer
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 768485BR Location New York, New York, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Nov. 10, 2020
Job Summary:At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
Disney Enterprise Technology is responsible for technology strategy and management, central engineering, architecture, IT and technical operations for across The Walt Disney Company including virtual worlds, flagship Web sites Disney.com, Disney Family.com, ABC.com and ESPN.com.
The Network Facilities and Architecture team is responsible for the cabling systems that link all of these amazing businesses together. In this position you may end up working with Disney Imagineers helping to bring new buildings, rides, and resorts from the drawing board to opening day. Then next day you may work with ESPN or our production studios. Every day is different and filled with unique challenges.
Responsibilities:The Sr Communications Engineer position in Network Facilities Architecture and Design participates in delivery of physical infrastructure services that support global network services including all voice, video and data services. Responsibilities include; contribute to network facilities design, documenting and communicating roadmaps and standards as well as participating in all physical network infrastructure (cabling, cabinets, HVAC, UPS, etc.) related matters and technology.
This key technology position works closely with the Disney Segments as well as the various network services teams to contribute to the overall physical infrastructure strategy, architecture, and define designs, technology selection, and deployment of solutions that meet business demand. Responsibilities include; collecting requirements, identifying technologies / vendors, network design, prioritizing activities, implementation, vendor oversight and transitioning these solutions to Operations. This position also interfaces with the Outsource Supplier to communicate Disney network standards and requirements and conducts reviews of Supplier recommended projects to ensure the design meets the business objectives and improves service delivery.
- Delivers business unit related projects, including researching, configuration and recommending new technologies in association with the project request and developing scope-of-work requirements for the project development and bid. Creates and/or reviews design for adherence to NFAD strategy, standards and security policy.
- Develops physical layer and office building project plans, including coordinating project resources and providing status reports to management and project team.
- Designing and developing broadcast transport network solutions to address a variety of business challenges.
- Determines labor costs as well as equipment and wiring costs for each project and manages the project expenses to the estimates, identifies new and improved methods that can be used to satisfy infrastructure requirements and provides technical material needed for the documentation of each new infrastructure project.
- Tracks timeline and financial forecast against stated objectives, ensures proper transition to operations with required KPI’s, design documentation.
- Closely collaborates with the network delivery services department in defining and documenting services and associated service levels to ensure a consistent delivery model for network services in local region including required training to support new technologies.
- Implement technical aspects of the network facilities strategy, architecture, design, and documenting/communicating roadmaps and standards as well as participates in all physical network infrastructure (cabling, cabinets, HVAC, GPON, DWDM, UPS, etc.) related matters and technology.
- Demonstrate technical acumen, business acumen, strong communication skills and professional maturity in representing the department in business discussions.
- Researches technologies and products and meets with vendor, addresses technical issues/deficiencies and influence new products and services to meet growing and changing requirements
- 8+ years of direct experience in interpretation of building construction, electrical, and infrastructure blueprints.
- Knowledge of EIA/TIA standards and building codes and wiring requirements.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple large-scale complex projects and successfully completes in a timely manner.
- Excellent communication and relationship skills, with emphasis in the ability to articulate advanced technical topics to both technical and non-technical staff; ability to articulate business issues/concerns with staff, peers, senior leadership, and outside parties.
- MS Office and MS Visio proficiency
- AutoCAD and REVIT proficiency
- BISCI certified RCDD or Professional Engineer
- Python programming experience
- GPON technology infrastructure design and implementation standards
- Optical network design and planning experience
Required EducationBS degree in Engineering or Information Technology or equivalent
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.