Senior Data Analyst, Data Platform Engineering
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763889BR Location New York, New York, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Jul. 30, 2020
Job Summary:We have created a new Big Data Platforms group within Disney Direct-To-Consumer and International (DTCI) technology with the skills, drive, and passion to innovate, create, and succeed in enabling a Direct to Consumer Strategy for ESPN, Disney and ABC products. We are here to disrupt and start a cultural revolution that can lead a revolution in the application of data and analytics across The Walt Disney Company, focused on Content Personalization/Recommendation, Deep User Understanding, Audience Segmentation for Linear to Digital Ad Sales, and Analytics.
The Big Data Analyst will work within the Data Platform and will be charged with delivering actionable data insights from Disney’s large and diverse set of first and third party data sources. This data will come from every aspect of the user journey and product experience - user on-boarding, registration, personalization, ad-sales.
You will work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Audience Development and Content Development to identify areas of opportunity. You’ll work with the entirety of DTCI to build infrastructure and systems that support scalable self-serve analytics platform across the enterprise. You’ll evangelize the work product of the data function within the company – both upward to executive management and across the organization to peer and constituent groups.
You’ll be an excellent communicator, communicating insight, progress and plans to all levels of the company. You will be responsible for creating and approving artifacts designed to document models, requirements, and results.
You’ll bring your knowledge of standard data analytic methods including, but not limited to SQL based analysis and more extensive analysis using Spark, R and Python or similar tools
- Stake holder interviews to build self-serve analytical framework – requirements may include consumer engagement as well as digital ad engagements across all products.
- Develop methods to build revenue reporting for Digital AdSales team.
- Selecting methods for performing advanced data analysis.
- Extensive big data analysis and come up with logic to build analytical dimensions and metrics using Hive, Spark QL or Scripting Languages such as Python.
- Document logic in order to help engineering team to implement them.
- Cleary communicate design & development strategies to all stake holders, educate them as and when needed.
- Establishes, supports and maintains standards of the analytics and data analytics process.
- Work with engineering team to build infrastructure designed to facilitate the construction of models and the exposure of those models to end users throughout the company.
- Work with engineering team to automate daily monitoring of models in production, help troubleshoot issues and make necessary improvements as needed.
- Performing ad hoc analysis, interpreting and communicating results in a clear manner
- Processing, cleansing and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Evangelize the work product of the data science function within the company - both upward to executive management and across to peers and constituent groups.
- First-hand experience – Have 4+ years of professional experience as a Data Analyst mining large scale data and transform data points to knowledge.
- Data expert – Must be hands-on on data analysis tools and frameworks such as SQL, Hive, Spark QL or Python to analyze any amount of data to both solve business requirements and feed in to engineering team to build data transformations.
- Visionary - Solid understanding of big data and how an organization will be able build data driven products.
- Have a data toolbox – Familiar with technologies relevant to the data such as Hadoop, OLAP databases and visualization tools such as Tableau or Looker or similar.
- Hunger to Learn & Teach – Genuine interest to do conduct data mining and share the finding with internal team as well as business users.
- Problem solver – Enjoy solving complex business problem using deep data analysis.
- Team player – Enjoy working collaboratively with a talented group of people to tackle challenging business problems so we all succeed (or fail fast) as a team
- Minimum 6 years of work experience in data and business analysis
- Expert knowledge of a common big data tools such as SQL, Hive, Hadoop
- Expert level knowledge in at least one programming language such as python, R, Scala, Java.
- Experience in working with large datasets (Terabytes or more)
- Experience in Digital Content Distribution/AdSales domain.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of end users and technical resources
- Creative thinking and motivated self-starter
- Experience with machine learning models.
- Data and analytics/measurement experience in digital or mobile app environment preferred.
- Experience in Digital Ads experience such as Video and Display Ad measurements is a plus
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Technology Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
ESPN Technology Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.