Senior Data Engineer
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 774211BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Feb. 18, 2021
Job Summary:The Data Engineer will work within the DMED and will be charged with delivering actionable data insights from Disney’s large and diverse set of first and third party data sources. This data will come from every aspect of the user journey and product experience - user on-boarding, registration, personalization, ad-sales. Data models will be both implicit and explicit. The primary objective will be to apply modern big data techniques to discover patterns in user behavior that can be leveraged to drive three main metrics – user frequency, user engagement and revenue yield. Further, you will be tasked with building models to segment and cluster consumers based on vast amount of digital and broadcast content – marrying these models with user behavior patterning to deliver personalized, unique experiences to each Disney consumers.
You will work closely with Product Managers, Designers, Audience Development and Content Development to identify areas of opportunity. You’ll work with the entirety of DMED to build infrastructure and systems that support scalable self-serve analytical platform across the enterprise. You’ll evangelize the work product of the data function within the company –
both upward to executive management and across the organization to peer and constituent groups.
You’ll be an excellent communicator, communicating insight, progress and plans to all levels of the company. You will be responsible for creating and approving artifacts designed to document models, requirements, and results.
You’ll bring your knowledge of standard data analytic methods including, but not limited to statistical modelling and SQL based analysis, and more extensive analysis using Spark, R and Python or similar tools. Furthermore, you will be skilled subject matter expert in defining customer engagement metrics, revenue yield, life time value (LTV) across the enterprise.
- Stake holder interviews to build self-serve analytical framework – requirements may include consumer engagement as well as digital ad engagements across all products.
- Selecting methods for performing advanced data analysis.
- Experience building data marts that can support Digital/Linear Ad Sales Revenue, campaign, deals and people management use cases.
- Extensive big data analysis and come up with logic to build analytical dimensions and metrics using Hive, Spark QL or Scripting Languages such as Python.
- Document logic in order to help engineering team to implement them.
- Build statistical models using tools specified above.
- Cleary communicate design & development strategies to all stake holders, educate them as and when needed.
- Establishes, supports and maintains standards of the analytics and data analytics process.
- Develop ETL pipelines in and out of data warehouse using combination of Python and Snowflakes SnowSQL Writing SQL queries against Snowflake.
- Work with engineering team to build infrastructure designed to facilitate the construction of models and the exposure of those models to end users throughout the company.
- Work with engineering team to automate daily monitoring of models in production, help troubleshoot issues and make necessary improvements as needed.
- Performing ad hoc analysis, interpreting and communicating results in a clear manner
- Processing, cleansing and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Evangelize the work product of the data science function within the company - both upward to executive management and across to peers and constituent groups.
- Coordinate and execute experiments and create frameworks to support those experiments designed to inform both the strategic and tactical initiatives of the Product team.
- Assist in the preparation of presentations and formal analysis in support of executive decision making and strategy development.
- First-hand experience – Have 4+ years of professional experience leading large-scale global data warehousing and analytics projects with strong Digital & Linear Ad Sales domain understanding.
- Data Expert– Must be hands-on on data analysis tools and frameworks such as SQL, Hive, Spark QL or Python to analyze any amount of data and develop data warehouse structures that support business reporting and analytical needs.
- Business Domain Knowledge – Must have strong Digital & Linear Ad sales domain knowledge.
- Visionary - Solid understanding of big data and how an organization will be able build data driven products.
- Have a data toolbox – Familiar with technologies relevant to the data such as Hadoop, traditional data warehouse , cloud-native data warehouse solutions (Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, Microsoft Azure) ,visualization tools such as Tableau or Looker or similar.
- Hunger to Learn & Teach – Genuine interest to do conduct data mining and share the finding with internal team as well as business users.
- Problem solver – Enjoy solving complex business problem using deep data analysis.
- Team player – Enjoy working collaboratively with a talented group of people to tackle challenging business problems so we all succeed (or fail fast) as a team
- Bachelors in Computer Science or similar is preferred.
- Minimum 4 years of work experience in data warehouse and data mart environment.
- Minimum 3 year experience working in Digital & Linear Ad Sales/Media Planning domain.
- Expert knowledge of a common big data tools such as SQL, Hive, Hadoop
- Minimum 1 year of work experience Snowflake implementation, SnowSQL and writing use defined functions in Snowflake
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.