Senior Data EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 10028250 Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 23, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
- Contribute to maintaining, updating, and expanding existing Core Data platform data pipelines in Scala and Python / Spark while maintaining strict uptime SLAs
- Extend functionality of current Core Data platform offerings, including metadata parsing, extending the metastore API, and building new integrations with APIs both internal and external to the Data organization
- Implement the Lakehouse architecture, working with key partners to shift towards a Lakehouse-centric data platform
- Architect, design, and code shared libraries in Scala and Python that abstract complex business logic to allow consistent functionality across all data pipelines across the Data organization
- Tech stack includes Airflow, Spark, Databricks, Delta Lake, Snowflake, Scala, Python
- Collaborate with product managers, architects, and other engineers to drive the success of the Core Data platform
- Contribute to developing and documenting both internal and external standards for pipeline configurations, naming conventions, partitioning strategies, and more
- Ensure high operational efficiency and quality of the Core Data platform datasets to ensure our solutions meet SLAs and project reliability and accuracy to all our partners (Engineering, Data Science, Operations, and Analytics teams)
- Be an active participant and advocate of agile/scrum ceremonies to collaborate and improve processes for our team
- Engage with and understand our customers, forming relationships that allow us to understand and prioritize both innovative new offerings and incremental platform improvements
- Maintain detailed documentation of your work and changes to support data quality and data governance requirements
- 5 + years of data engineering experience developing large data pipelines
- Strong algorithmic problem-solving expertise
- Strong fundamental Scala and Python programming skills
- Basic understanding of AWS or other cloud provider resources (S3)
- Strong SQL skills and ability to create queries to analyze complex datasets
Nice To Haves:
- Hands-on production environment experience with distributed processing systems such as Spark
- Hands-on production experience with data pipeline orchestration systems such as Airflow for creating and maintaining data pipelines
- Some scripting language experience
- Willingness and ability to learn and pick up new skills
- Self-starting problem solver with an eye for detail and excellent analytical and communication skills
- Experience with at least one major Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) or cloud database technology (Snowflake, Redshift, Big Query)
- Experience in developing APIs with GraphQL
- Deep Understanding of AWS or other cloud providers as well as infrastructure as code
- Familiarity with Data Modeling techniques and Data Warehousing standard methodologies and practices
- Familiar with Scrum and Agile methodologies
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems equivalent industry experience
The hiring range for this position in New York is $165,110 to $191,180.00 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.