Senior Editor (ABC News)Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 738989BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jan. 17, 2020
The primary responsibility for the Senior Editor is to lead the planning for ABC News Digital’s daily coverage in conjunction with the other editorial seniors. The Senior Editor compiles daily rundown of stories in the morning, leads Digital’s twice-daily internal news meetings, and assigns stories to reporters and editors. The Senior Editor’s shift may include one weekend day.
The ideal candidate is someone who has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, and has management experience in a fast-paced newsroom.
The role is based in New York City, and the hours are generally from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET.
- Manage the editing and reporting staff in conjunction with the deputy managing editor and the managing editor.
- Main point of contact to assign stories to domestic offices, including the newsgathering desks in NY and LA.
- Main point of contact with our DC editors on daily stories.
- Leads bi-weekly line editor meetings.
- Manages the staffing schedule in coordination with other seniors, approving time off and adjusting staffing for special events.
- Conducts quarterly catch-up sessions with line editors.
- Contributes to personnel decisions such as hiring and disciplinary measures.
- In consultation with the managing editor and deputy managing editor, serve as the lead for professional development, including being the liaison with human resources for diversity and other journalism conferences.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience editing for a digital news outlet.
- Ability to write on deadline with speed and accuracy.
- Proven experience handling breaking news.
- Willingness and desire to collaborate across different teams.
- Ability to balance priorities, multiple projects and tasks.
- Brings energy and positivity to the group dynamic.
- BA or BS from a 4-year accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
- Preferred Education: Master’s degree in journalism from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.