Senior Media Streaming Engineer
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 809588BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 16, 2021
Job Summary:The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department’s responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Live team provides technical and engineering support for our partner products, including workflow design and implementation, incident management and system health monitoring for streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
As a Senior Media Streaming Engineer, you will be responsible for the technical performance of Disney Streaming’s live encoding system. Core responsibilities for this include leading the buildouts and configuration of these machines at-scale, as well as testing software, and specifying feature requests for the encoding platform. You will use your strong background in video workflows to help design and verify the complex live video workflows in which these encoders sit. You will also be responsible for designing automation techniques for managing both the encoding hardware as well as video workflows.
- Automation Scripting and Video Analysis
- Engineering Projects
- Maintenance and support of live encoder and packagers
- Documentation and training
- Experience working in a video OTT/broadcast environment.
- Ability to work independently to solve problems in both the video and IT domains
- Experience writing technical documentation for consumption by both technical and non-technical people.
- Comfortable with Mac, Linux, and Windows environments, specifically on the command line.
- Strong communication skills.
- Intermediate knowledge of live video transmission acquisition and/or OTT encoding distribution workflows.
- Knowledge of video codecs and compression (H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC)
- Knowledge of audio codecs and containers (AAC, PCM, AC-3, EAC-3, MPEG-1 Layer-II)
- Knowledge of IP video delivery protocols (HLS, MPEG-TS, DASH)
- Experience working with technology in mid-size to large data centers
- Strong host/configuration management skills
- Basic scripting experience (BASH, Python, Ruby)
- Basic experience with automation suites (AWX/Ansible, Puppet)
- Experience with REST API communication, either manually (cURL/Postman), or programmatically (through a scripting language library)
- Comfortable acting as a technical lead to other departments to address and resolve technical issues.
- Basic network transport understanding (Multicast, TCP/UDP connections)
- Intermediate knowledge of video delivery over the leading content distribution networks
- Basic understanding of DAI workflows in a broadcast and OTT environment.
- Comfortable troubleshooting with Transport Stream and Elementary Stream analyzers
- Basic experience with command-line video tools like FFMPEG, MP4Box, and TSDuck
- Experience working with an enterprise, or workstation, encoding solution such as, AWS Elemental, Ateme Titan, or Wowza Cloud.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.