Senior Software Engineer (Scala)
New York, NY - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 747750BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Feb. 13, 2020
Job Summary:Software Engineers at Disney Streaming Services develop premium digital media products for Major League Baseball and our partners. The products we build, such as ESPN+, Disney+, MLB.TV and NHL.TV, are paving the way for the next-generation media and sport technologies. Our Engineering team for Disney Streaming Services is headquartered in the Chelsea area of New York City. Other office locations also include the SoMo area of San Francisco, CA and several international locations.
At Disney Streaming Services, data is central to measuring all aspects of the business, and critical to its operations and growth. The Streaming Data Platform team is responsible for collecting, processing, analyzing and distributing data in near real-time using public cloud and open source technologies and supporting operational and analytical use cases such as customer behavior, business performance or service integrations.
If you are interested in joining Disney Streaming Services in the pursuit of not only crafting new media products but enjoying the products you build, we are interested in hearing from you.
- Collaborate with product teams, data analysts and data scientists to design and build data-forward solutions.
- Build services, data processing applications, and tools for processing large amounts of events in near-real time.
- Design, build and deploy streaming data platform capable of processing and storing petabytes of data quickly, correctly and reliably.
- Integrate with a variety of data metric providers ranging from advertising, web analytics and consumer devices.
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation.
- Work with other teams, evangelize the platform, best-practices, data driven decisions, identify new use cases and features and drive adoption.
- Lead a significant part of the implementation and deployment of services within your team.
- Coach data engineers around best practices and technical concepts of building large scale streaming data platforms.
- Work on challenging and varied business domains across the organization.
- Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, and continuous integration and, by your example, lead others in your team to do likewise.
- 3-5 years of software engineering experience, ideally in Scala and functional programming (or interest)
- Knowledge and experience with distributed systems including their development, operations and observability
- Experience deploying and running AWS-based data solutions and familiar with tools such as Cloud Formation, IAM, Kinesis, S3, Firehose, EMR etc.
- Demonstrable understanding of high-quality software development and testing practices.
- Experience with DevOps and building automation and reliability in large scale systems, including tools such as Jenkins, Docker, EC2, ECS, Cloudwatch, or languages like Python, Go
- Familiar with metadata management, data lineage, and principles of data governance
- Experience with streaming data pipelines using Kafka, Spark, Storm, or Flink
- Familiarity with binary data serialization formats such as Protobuf, Parquet, Avro, or Thrift
- Experience building streaming data platforms, solving problems including event definition, evolution, processing, patterns and best practices, scalability, reliability, observability, validation etc.
- Knowledge of the data and streaming data ecosystems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.