Senior Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 916451BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Mar. 08, 2022
We’re looking for people who want to challenge themselves, to grow; people who understand scale... and care deeply about reliability. You will be surrounded by colleagues eager to help you succeed and be part of an ambitious, high-performing, rewarding culture. If this sounds like something for you, read on!
How we workThe teams work in small squads that promote Agile practices. Each team and their respective squads are responsible for a collection of microservices and their infrastructure, from building to delivery and maintenance. We take great pride in owning what we build and seeing things through to the end.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place where teams are responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications. We are actively expanding our Manchester born SRE function, which aims to advance our knowledge and innovation globally in areas such as Observability, Reliability and Availability.
We have the autonomy to choose the technologies and processes that help us achieve our objectives. So each team leverages the technology that fits their needs best. You’ll see us working with data processing / streaming like Kinesis, Spark and Flink; application technologies like PostgreSQL, Redis & DynamoDB; and breaking things using in-house chaos principles and tools such as Gatling to drive load… all deployed and hosted on AWS.
Our services teams are advocates of functional programming, so you can expect to join a team that’s applying principles from FP to build these services: using Scala, Cats, ZIO, http4s, FS2, and Cats Effect.
Customer Experience / QoSOur team builds services to measure the Customer Experience for Video Playback, in real-time. This means taking high throughput streaming event data (~10TB/day) generated by our client applications, and creating a user experience to support our analysts who generate insights into the underlying quality of the streaming experience, driving improvement. It requires us to make technical tradeoffs between what we can achieve with the data we can gather, and the requirements from our internal users on a regular basis.
- Be part of an Agile team building the world's fastest growing media streaming platform.
- Strive for excellence, challenge yourself, and become part of a collaborative, inclusive and diverse team.
- Contribute to or lead a significant part of the implementation, design, testing, and deployment of services within your team.
- Leverage, learn and apply cutting edge technologies on challenging and varied business domains.
- Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, and continuous integration.
- Develop your technical understanding to support and build your career.
- Act as a mentor and an example to others in your team and across the organization.
- Have the opportunity to contribute to our open source or blog communities
Basic Qualifications:We’re interested in candidates with strong experience in a few areas, or some experience in most areas. Each team is different and we don’t expect you to know everything!
- Broad and deep technical knowledge, throughout the full stack. Deep hands-on expertise with many disparate technologies and architectures.
- Excellent communication skills, specifically in understanding, framing and simplifying both technical & business requirements.
- Experience mentoring and coaching more junior engineers on both technical and soft skills.
- Comfort with ambiguity and leading conversations where discordant views are present.
- Experience or strong interest in functional programming and its real-world applications - particularly Scala stacks such as Scalaz, Cats Effect and ZIO.
- Demonstrable experience working as part of a high performing, collaborative, agile team to deliver significant features / requirements.
- Experience of designing, building & operating distributed systems with multi-level failover & fallback strategies.
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure, preferably with AWS.
- Web services experience: including REST and GraphQL.
- Monitoring and optimizing applications written for the JVM.
- Relational and NoSQL databases, particularly PostgreSQL, Aurora, & DynamoDB with experience modeling & optimizing query performance.
- Kinesis or any other streaming data.
- Understanding of statistical analysis of data.
- Experience with or an interest in "DevOps" tooling & infrastructure as code.
- A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
- Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
- An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
- Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.