Senior Vice President, Streaming – ABC NewsApply NowApply Later Job ID 844230BR Location New York, New York, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Sep. 20, 2021
ABC News’ nearly 2,000 employees are part of Disney General Entertainment (DGE), the iconic collection of The Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) entertainment and news properties. In addition to ABC News, DGE’s collection of renown content brands include 20th Television, ABC Signature, ABC Entertainment, Disney Branded Television, Freeform, FX, Hulu Originals, National Geographic and Onyx Collective creating original entertainment and news programming for the company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks. DGE annually produces over 4,500 hours of programming for Disney+, Hulu, Star; and the ABC, Disney Channel, Freeform, FX and National Geographic networks, as well as third-party platforms and networks. During the 2020-2021 season, the group produced the No. 1 scripted series across 14 different streamers and networks, and garnered a combined total of 205 Emmy Award nominations across daytime, primetime and news segments.
Responsibilities:This newly created role reports to the President of ABC News and is responsible for the News division’s multi-platform and direct-to-consumer content strategy and pipeline. This role will set the content strategy and roadmap for ABC News’ streaming and digital brands through direct oversight of “ABC News Live”, Digital (currently “ABCNews.com”, “GMA.com”, “FiveThirtyEight.com”) and Audio, as well as leading the development and slate of unscripted documentaries and long-lead specials and series for both linear and digital platforms. This leader will be responsible for the vision of ABC News on Hulu. The person in this job is responsible for positioning ABC News as the leader in 24/7 streaming news and must demonstrate a deep knowledge of the direct-to-consumer competitive landscape.
- As a member of the senior executive team, the SVP sets the strategy and vision for ABC News’ direct-to-consumer content. In partnership with the EVP Editorial, the SVP will ensure the News division's programming and content reaches multi-cultural audiences across linear and digital platforms, driving audience engagement.
- Oversees the development pipeline of ABC News original unscripted documentaries, long-lead specials, and series across linear and digital platforms including ABC, National Geographic, Disney+, and Hulu. Owner of greenlight process and budget.
- Represents ABC News with Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) to influence and develop cross-platform distribution strategies, audience growth and engagement, data and analytics, and sales.
- Inspires Executive Producers and showrunners to achieve the most compelling cross-platform results
- Ensures that all content meets company policies, industry codes, FCC rules, and brand values while continually developing new product to reflect the current competitive environment
- Stays abreast of audience trends across the streaming landscape. Represents ABC News at industry conferences, on panels and in the media.
- Sets short and long-term objectives to achieve budgetary goals.
- Manages budget and allocates ABC News resources to achieve operational goals.
- Brings new and content innovative approaches across the range of new platforms
- Champions an innovative and highly collaborative diverse culture that promotes idea generation, open communication, respect for others, and excellence
- Partners with HR, Finance and Operations as well as other relevant departments
- ABC News Live
- Long-lead Specials
- Primetime & Off-network Series
- News on Hulu Content Strategy
- Business & Operations
- News Gathering
- News Practices
- Talent Strategy & Development
- Office of the President & Process Management
- Extensive senior leadership experience in development, content planning, and/or programming strategy, preferably in a streaming/direct-to-consumer business
- Demonstrated success in building and leading editorial teams that deliver business results while maintaining a culture of trust, collaboration, and accountability.
- Needs to be highly competent in leveraging data and insights to make sound business decisions around content for direct-to-consumer platforms.
- Strong understanding of the content development and production process
- A high EQ leader who sets a personal example of the highest integrity. Someone whose career demonstrates a deep understanding of the connection between transparency, corporate culture and business results.
- Ability to recognize, create and communicate priorities, strategies, market opportunities, and challenges to drive growth and performance improvement
- Strategy experience, preferably within a news or other media environment
- Strong understanding of financials that underpin a large, complex, consumer facing business. Ideally, experience working with multi-million dollar P&Ls.
- Proven ability to develop and lead initiatives that require broad-based buy-in for success
- Broad understanding of network news and digital businesses
- Ability to influence and work through others in a highly matrixed organization
- Strong external/internal network of creative programming resources
- Demonstrated success in partnering with Human Resources and other relevant departments on organizational design, professional development and hiring diverse, aspiring talent
- Proven ability to bring new and innovative approaches across a range of new platforms
- Strong and established relationships with talent, agents, production companies, producers, writers and other key players in the television, cable and streaming industry
- A career background in journalism or media
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.