Already applied?View Dashboard
Senior Visual Journalist, FiveThirtyEightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 660104BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted May. 07, 2019
Job Summary:A Senior Visual Journalist at FiveThirtyEight works at the center of our newsroom, spending about half their time working on their own stories and half working on more collaborative sitewide projects. This role sits on the graphics team, but also works closely with FiveThirtyEight editors and writers to produce high-impact journalism in politics, sports and other areas. We’re looking for someone with an eye for a compelling and important story as much as an aesthetic sense and technical skill set. (Though we want those things too.)
This position is also part editor and part project manager – helping writers, editors and other members of the graphics team develop and refine visual stories and shepherding those projects from idea to online.
- Pitch, report, design, write and develop stories that use charts, maps, interactive graphics, web applications and other visual forms.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the viz team and newsroom on bigger interactive projects.
- Work with other visual journalists and editors to help conceive, develop, refine and produce graphics-driven stories.
- Potentially manage more junior visual and computational journalists.
- Help create tools for analyzing and visualizing data.
- 3+ years of related experience.
- Experience with many aspects of data journalism, including traditional reporting, writing and data analysis.
- Strong news judgment.
- Experience using design software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Demonstrated execution of a clean, elegant, and sophisticated aesthetic; an ability to visualize complex ideas in a clear, accurate, and intelligent manner.
- Extraordinary attention to accuracy and detail.
- 4-5 years related experience
- Experience with statistical programming languages including R
- Experience with cartography and mapping tools (QGIS, TopoJSON)
- Experience with modern, dynamic programming languages and frameworks (Python, Ruby, Node)
Required EducationBachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDTV) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDTV offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDTV includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.