Already applied?View Dashboard
Senior Visual Journalist, FiveThirtyEightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 687212BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jul. 02, 2019
Job Summary:Visual journalists are a central part of FiveThirtyEight’s data-driven newsroom. In addition to producing graphics for daily stories, they help create our “big swing” interactives and collaborate closely with editors and writers to produce high-impact journalism covering politics, sports and other areas. We’re looking for someone with an eye for a compelling and important story, a strong aesthetic sense and the technical skills to make their ideas work across screens of all shapes and sizes.
- Pitch, report, design, write and develop stories that use charts, maps, interactive graphics, web applications and other visual forms.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the viz team and newsroom on bigger interactive projects.
- Work with other visual journalists and editors to help conceive, develop, refine and produce graphics-driven stories.
- Help develop tools for analyzing and visualizing data.
- 3+ years of related experience.
- Strong news judgement and experience with many aspects of data journalism, including reporting, writing and data analysis.
- Demonstrated execution of a clean, elegant and sophisticated aesthetic; an ability to visualize complex ideas in a clear, accurate and intelligent manner.
- Solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts, including statistics.
- Experience using design software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Extraordinary attention to accuracy and detail.
- 4-5 years related experience
- Experience with statistical programming languages including R
- Experience with cartography and mapping tools (QGIS, TopoJSON)
- Experience with modern, dynamic programming languages and frameworks (Python, Ruby, Node)
Required EducationBachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.