Software Engineer, Engineering Data Science
New York, New York, United States; Seattle, Washington, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 781124BR Location New York, New York, United States; Seattle, Washington, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Apr. 03, 2021
Location: New York NY - Seattle WA
We are seeking an experienced Software Engineer to join our team focused on harnessing engineering data points via innovative analysis, data science approaches, and engineering processes. This role will build and deploy production engineering processes, data science models, and data analysis powering data quality and insights while uncovering data-driven trends to improve our engineering practices and products
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network, and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company’s content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company’s streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ Hotstar; and domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
- Contribute to Rapid prototyping, building, and deployment of production level analysis and models to monitor critical datasets and engineering infrastructure in streaming and batch
- Work to adopt methods from diverse disciplines such as machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence, statistical modeling, information theory, information retrieval and other areas to gain data insights, draw conclusions, and work with engineering partners to put those insights into action
- Perform development work on model scoring, datapoint quality processes, and model deployment ensuring high-quality engineering processes and scalability across all practices
- Create and deploy scalable API endpoints to provide model scores and data feedback to other applications, engineering processes, and teams
- Contribute to development work on model scoring, datapoint quality processes, and model deployment ensuring high-quality engineering processes and scalability across all practices
- Understand engineering infrastructure and business processes that power critical systems
- Create and manage key engineering health and insight data points, providing intelligence into the operations of our engineering infrastructure and ultimately products via visualizations
- Perform ad-hoc data analysis as needed to uncover engineering issues or inconsistencies and make recommendations on remediation
- 3+ years of Python, Spark, Pyspark, or Scala is required
- High familiarity with data platforms and applications such as Databricks, Jupyter, Snowflake, Redshift, Airflow
- Experience operating in an SDLC environment and deploying production engineering models and code
- Exceptional interpersonal and written communication skills, able to concisely synthesize complex technical information
- Strong analytical and technical skills to troubleshoot issues, perform rapid iteration, and quickly come up with the possible solutions, effectively communicating these to technical and executive audiences across the organization
- 3+ years of experience in the technology industry, knowledge of data and product a plus
- BA or BS in a quantitative field (Business, Math/Statistics, Economics, CS, Engineering, or similar) is desired
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.