Software Engineer, Video Playback – C/C++
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 829754BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 19, 2021
Job Summary:As a Software Engineer in the Video Playback Engineering team you will help us push the boundaries of what is possible on some of the most interesting video player platforms in the marketplace. You’ll be part of an advanced team where you’ll be in uncharted territory exploring video playback on the latest gaming consoles and set-top box devices on the market.
We’re looking for an engineer who has experience in embedded systems and writing cross platform code. The engineer will be developing video players for both feature rich and constrained devices.
This opening is for both mid-level engineers with interests in developing and porting production embedded applications. This opening is for remote employees, or one of our many development offices, including Seattle, San Francisco, Raleigh and New York.
We truly believe we offer a unique opportunity for any technologist:
- To work on a bleeding edge technology stack
- To work with a world-class team of Engineers
- To work on award-winning, complex apps and systems
- To work in a highly collaborative team environment
- To have an influence on the innovation of products used globally by millions
- Be a member of a team of engineers responsible for building our next generation video players for gaming consoles and set-top box devices.
- Video Player and integration development for a native environment.
- Port and optimize to new hardware platforms.
- Maintain a strong understanding of our native video engine to identify, research and address issues as they arise.
- Test and assess our internal video player on new hardware. Explore DRM capabilities and ability to access OS and driver level decoding and decryption.
- Collaborate with application development teams, services engineering teams and product management to help understand and explain device limitations and requirements.
- Must have experience in C/C++
- Experience analyzing performance and optimizing multi-threaded runtimes.
- Strong individual contributor with a drive to learn and patience to teach others.
- Minimum 2 years experience in a technical field
- Experience in Rust
- Familiarity with set-top box development and specialized SoCs from embedded manufacturers
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for both Live and VOD
- ABR Algorithms
- Media containers ISOBMFF / CMAF
- Caption and subtitle formats WebVTT, 608 / 708
- Codecs AVC, HEVC, AAC, EAC3
- DRM, common encryption, and CDM vendors Widevine and PlayReady
- Visual Studio or IDE of choice
- Github Enterprise
- Linux / Windows / Mac
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.