Software Engineering Manager- Globalization Tools Engineering
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 831539BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Aug. 03, 2021
Job Summary:The Globalization Tools Engineering (GTE) team at Disney Streaming is hiring a Software Engineering Manager to help build and enhance the localization/internationalization platform for Disney+, Star+, and the other streaming services we support. GTE is responsible for the tooling that allows our Localization team to translate what you see in Disney+ into over 15 languages to create a truly global experience. The team has an ambitious product and technical roadmap necessary to support the continued global expansion of Disney+ into Asia and the launch of Star+ in Latin America.
As GTE's Engineering Manager, you'll be part of the leadership team for GTE's parent org, Experience Authority, which collectively serves as the source of truth for content catalog and sports metadata, experience curation, image delivery, and 3rd party catalog syndication. We have a collaborative culture that encourages technical ownership, knowledge sharing, and professional development. We maintain an active slate of lunch and learn sessions, and all team members are encouraged to spend some time taking online courses, learning new technologies and methodologies, working on open source or side projects, or writing blog posts.
Diversity is extremely important to our culture and is one of Disney Streaming's core values. We consider candidates of all backgrounds and strive to build a welcoming environment for everyone.
- Manage a team of software engineers, including regular 1:1s, performance reviews, and career growth guidance.
- Work with Product Management and the team's Technical Project Manager to coordinate and prioritize the delivery of both product and technical initiatives.
- Perform frequent and thorough code reviews for your team.
- Author and review technical writing including incident postmortems and architecture RFCs.
- Spend some portion of your time coding/contributing directly to the team's products.
- Hold the team to high standards of software quality.
- Participate in interviews for open roles within and outside of your team.
- Provide transparent communication to engineering leadership and stakeholders using and developing various tools and processes.
- 5+ years of previous experience as a Software Engineer and/or Manager
- Proficiency with a modern front-end web framework
- Experience building and shipping a full stack web application
- Strong understanding of SQL and relational databases
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Hands-on experience with any of: Angular, TypeScript, Java
- Experience with Docker
- Proficiency with AWS or other cloud services provider
- Localization/internationalization experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.