Sr Manager Media Product Management, Video Player
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 763370BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 23, 2020
Job Summary:Disney Streaming Services seeks an enthusiastic and experienced product manager to join our video player product team. Reporting to the Director, Video Player Product, and part of the rapidly growing Media Product team, the job location is New York or San Francisco.
The video player is the heart of the streaming experience for subscribers of Disney+, ESPN+, and other DSS-powered streaming apps, continually evolving in order to keep the player experience compelling, satisfying, and familiar—regardless of device. Part of a vertically-integrated video ecosystem, this includes video players across a range of platforms, with a range of features from low-level stream handling (e.g. ABR functionality) to UX innovations.
You will work closely with counterparts in engineering, operations, product management, design, and project management —as well as with executive teams—to ensure the player roadmap fulfills business, technical, and consumer priorities. You will help define and will drive the product roadmap for DSS’s natively-built video players, while coordinating with partners responsible for device-provided players to ensure roadmap alignment along with necessary performance and functionality.
You will manage a team of product managers responsible for specific facets of the player ecosystem and will identify resource needs while digging in yourself.
The ideal candidate is highly analytical, resourceful, team-oriented, and will have the ability to work independently under time constraints to meet deadlines. You will have a proven track record in taking on end-to-end ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced and dynamic business environment. The ideal candidate makes data-driven decisions (including strong experience with using A/B experiments to validate or reject hypotheses), obsesses about the customer, forms strong yet loosely held opinions, and can build trust with all areas of the business.
We value passionate product leadership that drives with discipline and attention to detail.
- Work with business, product, and engineering, and operations stakeholders to establish and manage video player product strategy, objectives, roadmap, and KPIs
- Partner with Disney Streaming Services and partner UX and engineering teams to identify new product and process opportunities to drive the best possible player experience for viewers, within the constraints of devices, consumer environments, and available technology
- Take a data-driven approach to constantly improve the player and playback experience. Devise measurement and reporting frameworks and processes to communicate status to neighbors and stakeholders, as appropriate to each. Leverage experimentation to test hypotheses and prioritize features.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to translate product requirements into actionable stories using an Agile product development process
- 4+ years experience in product management in one or more aspects of live and/or VOD media streaming
- Strategic insight into the current video streaming landscape both domestically and globally, with an understanding of and strong opinions on current trends
- Demonstrated success leading a team in achieving ambitious short, medium and long-term goals
- Extensive experience developing video products across OTT platforms
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to prioritize well and communicate clearly across all levels of the organization with a proven ability to influence and engage senior executives
- A demonstrated ability to use data to inform and drive decisions and back up assumptions and recommendations
- A strong high-level technical understanding of all aspects of streaming media, including ABR protocols, encoding and packaging, HDR, DRM, DAI, etc.
- A strong understanding of common QoE metrics and their use in a product context
- Strong strategic aptitude, clear thinking and communicating, and great decision making
- Passion for making customers happy, with strong opinions about good customer experience
- A strong attention to detail, with an ability to take a step back and understand the bigger picture
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Scrappy and resourceful, with no fear of getting your hands dirty and an impulse to be the first to tackle any challenge.
- A demonstrated ability to work with engineering teams to discuss technical concepts, make tradeoffs to remove roadblocks and evaluate new ideas
- Direct video player product management experience
- Experience with big data tools for analyzing data
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.