Sr Scala Engineer
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 778716BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Mar. 23, 2021
Job Summary:At Disney Streaming Services you'll have the opportunity to create highly scalable and reliable services that power Disney+. You'll get to understand the challenges of facilitating a high-quality, flawless media streaming experience across mobile, connected devices, and web, all while using the latest technologies available from AWS and beyond. You'll be tasked with raising the bar by innovating and adopting new patterns and technologies to keep your teams on the bleeding edge of development. At Disney Streaming Services we feel strongly that teams should own their own processes, decide their own technologies, and design solutions for the long term. If you're interested in working in a highly collaborative team environment like this, please get in touch - we'd love to hear from you!
At Disney Streaming Services data is central to measuring all aspects of the business, and critical to its operations and growth. The data engineering team is responsible for data acquisition, real-time and stream processing, analysis, and distribution of data for further use using public cloud and open source technologies and offers transparency into customer behavior and business performance.
- Work within a cross functional team of engineers building software in a collaborative & agile development environment
- Participate in the full lifecycle of software development (requirements gathering, designing, building, testing, maintenance, and support)
- Be part of the development for some of the highest scale distributed systems in the world, solving challenging and varied engineering problems
- Collaborate with product teams, engineering teams, data analysts and data scientists to design and build data-forward solutions
- Design, build, deploy, and operate streaming data platform and software solutions capable of processing and storing petabytes of data quickly, correctly, and reliably
- Integrate with a variety of teams and domains, ranging from advertising, web analytics, and consumer devices
- Drive and maintain a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation
- Work with other teams, evangelize the platform, best-practices, data driven decisions, identify new use cases and features and drive adoption
- Coach engineers best practices and technical concepts of building large scale streaming data platforms
- 3-5 years of commercial software engineering experience in Scala.
- Experience or interest in functional programming in Scala or previous experience with functional programming languages (Haskell, Clojure, Lisp, Scheme.)
- Knowledge and experience with distributed systems, their development, operations, observability
- Experience with RDBMS, key/value stores, distributed database solutions
- Automated testing at different levels (unit, integration, functional, performance, etc.)
- Cross-functional approach to software development, devOps experience
- You're a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills.
- You care deeply about craftsmanship in your software, and can work backwards from the customer experience.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with streaming data pipelines using tools such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Storm, or Flink
- Experience deploying and running AWS-based solutions and familiarity with tools such as DynamoDB, Elasticache, Cloud Formation, Lambda, IAM, Kinesis, S3, Firehose, EMR etc.
- Experience with devOps, building automation and reliability in large scale systems, immutable infrastructure, containerization, including tools such as Jenkins, Docker, EC2, ECS, Cloudwatch, languages like Python, Go
- Familiarity with binary data serialization formats such as Protobuf, Parquet, Avro, or Thrift
- Experience building streaming data platforms, solving problems including event definition, evolution, processing, patterns and best practices, scalability, reliability, observability, validation etc.
- Knowledge of the data and streaming data ecosystems
- Familiarity with metadata management, data lineage, and principles of data governance
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.