Sr. Software Engineer - Android EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 899170BR Location Ohio, United States / United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Jan. 26, 2022 Flex Type Remote
Disney Streaming's Android team is seeking an experienced Software Engineer where you'll be building solid, scalable, and maintainable mobile applications for Disney+, Hulu, and Star+. Our highly collaborative team brings together folks from many fields including quality assurance, program management, product management, UX, and engineering. We are responsible for the apps that millions of Disney viewers use to watch their favorite movies and shows, every single day. We strive to build and maintain the best Live and Video on Demand (VOD) applications, specifically in the sports and entertainment sectors, on a broad set of Android devices, from phones to tablets and TVs running Android, including FireTV's and Fire tablets, as well as connecting with Chromecast, smartwatches, and other devices. We would love to see samples of your work. If you’ve got something to share with us, please make sure your resume or application links to your GitHub account or an app in the Play store. On the mobile team and at Disney Streaming, we are accountable to one another, committed to aligning on common goals, and moving forward. We do so because we know that no one person or team alone could achieve what we've set out to do! As a team, we continuously analyze data to improve our apps, our processes and how we work together.
In a Senior Android Engineer, we look for a passionate team member who is well-versed in Kotlin, RxJava, Dagger, Gradle, Fragments, and the Android Lifecycle. You are willing and able to support and mentor other team members to enable them to become more knowledgeable and achieve their career goals. We expect a Senior Engineer to be able to maintain high-level project awareness on a project with 100+ Gradle modules, while also being a domain expert on key parts of the application. You demonstrate engineering excellence by developing test infrastructures, writing documentation, ensuring high performance, and following an agile development methodology. You are able to make architectural decisions that do not just fulfill the requirements, but also provide scalability and flexibility for the future. The day-to-day for this position does not just involve writing code, but also interacting with other Android engineers, as well as project managers, product owners, UX designers, backend developers and other frontend teams (Apple, Web, Game Consoles and Smart TVs). You are confident in your knowledge of the Android ecosystem and can think out of the box to find solutions that work for all teams.
- 4+ years of production experience with Kotlin and the Android SDK
- Proficiency with Reactive Programming and Dependency Injection
- Well versed in different architectural patterns (MVI/MVVM or equivalent)
- Be an excellent communicator who collaborates well across teams.
- You write high quality code with strong test coverage
- Experience with using common Android libraries like Picasso, Retrofit, Coroutine, Toothpick or Dagger Hilt, and Rx
- A deep understanding of the Android SDK, Activity and Fragment lifecycles, thread management, custom views, and animations
- Experience architecting and building entire mobile applications while leading other developers to support your vision.
- Using performance evaluation tools like Android Profiler
- Experience with unit testing, test automation, and continuous integration
- Familiar with Scrum and Agile methodologies
- In-depth knowledge of web-service and data-driven application architecture
- Experience with streaming video, codecs, and DRM
- Experience with managing the build logic in Gradle.
- Familiarity with Android TV or Amazon Fire TV development
- Presence in the open-source community
- New York or Remote if open to working East Coast hours
This role is considered remote, which means the employee will work remotely on an ongoing basis and will not have an assigned workspace at a Company designated location.
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.