Sr. Software Engineer (Scala)
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 811682BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 13, 2021
Job Summary:Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars & National Geographic.
Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services.
We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. Since the initial launch of Disney+ in November 2019 we’ve now launched in multiple territories (Europe, LATAM, APAC) and have amassed 86.8 million paying subscribers, as of December 2020.
We need your help to continue to scale until we've built a platform that can be accessed from anywhere at any time.
The User Services Teams:
We are functional scala enthusiasts (Cats / Scalaz / ZIO / shapeless etc) that care about following best practice.
We're responsible for things like registration, login and authentication, profiles and personalization, and compliance for Disney+ & ESPN+
Our teams work in small, cross-functional squads that promote Agile practices. As a backend development team, we are experienced advocates of functional programming so you can expect to join a team that is applying principles from FP, Reactive Programming and Distributed Computing to build these services, using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Play and Cats, as well a wide range of cloud-native technologies including AWS (Kinesis, DynamoDB, Lambda), Docker and Serverless.
Been interested in scala for a while? You have probably heard of Cake Solutions if so, which is how we began in London. Cake was acquired by Disney in 2018, so we have a lot of experienced engineers that are known across the scala community.
We have a mature DevOps culture in place, where the team is responsible for the infrastructure and deployment of those applications - "You build it, you run it."
Responsibilities:You will be the first person from this team in our NYC office (remote for now). The rest of the team sits out in the UK so you will have the opportunity to grow this team. You will have the opportunity to work on interesting projects using Scala, Akka, Kafka, Kinesis and Dynamo with the aim to build software that is distributed, reactive and scalable.
- Contribute to or lead a significant part of the implementation and deployment of services within your team.
- Work on challenging and varied business domains including video encoding, digital rights management, advertising, authentication, and payment services.
- Apply principled engineering practices including unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration and, by your example, lead others in your team to do likewise.
- Develop your technical understanding to support and build your career.
- Act as a mentor and an example to others in your team and across the organization.
- Have some commercial experience with Scala
- Have experience or at least an interest in functional programming
- We’d love to see some prior experience with (or a willingness to learn) the Lightbend Reactive Platform, but any JVM (Scala, Java, Clojure) or Functional Language (Haskel, Lisp, Scheme) background is great!
- Experience creating scalable and reactive web applications with modern frameworks like Akka /play etc
- Have experience with public cloud technologies - We use AWS
- Have experience with or an interest in "DevOps" tooling
- Knowledge of applying object-oriented and functional programming styles to real-world software engineering problems.
- Demonstrable understanding of high-quality coding and testing practices.
- A strong understanding of continuous integration and continuous delivery practices.
- An appetite to learn new technologies and a drive for continual improvement.
- Contributions to the technical community, either through blogs, internal workshops, meetups or conferences.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.