Sr. Software Engineer, Social Engagement
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 831532BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jul. 23, 2021
It’s the mission of The Walt Disney Company to entertain, inform, and inspire people around the globe through the power of unparalleled storytelling. Viewers have created memories together around the magic of Disney storytelling in living rooms and theaters for decades, and the Social Engagement team aims to build new ways for families and friends to make memories virtually while sharing that magic over streaming.
The Social Engagement team is looking for an enthusiastic team player to fill a senior engineer role building and maintaining features for our collaborative viewing platform that supports Disney+ GroupWatch and Hulu Watch Party. We work with frontend and backend teams to ensure the platform is providing the most robust, optimized support to power these first-in-class social experiences. Social Engagement is a newly-formed team of 2 engineers with a tight-knit supportive culture, and our small size allows for a greater sense of ownership and impact.
- Leverage your breadth of experience & knowledge to design, document, build, deploy, and maintain stable backend platform features efficiently with little guidance
- Impactful contributions to design discussions, code reviews, and establishing best practices for all stages of the software development life cycle
- Precise and concise communication of technical concepts and designs
- Nurture the technical development of teammates with advice, design discussions, and pair programming
- Foster a supportive and collaborative environment both within and across teams
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a software engineer developing various web services
- Solid grasp of backend concepts (HTTP & Persistent Connections, Authentication & Authorization, Databases & Caching, Event-Driven Architecture, CI/CD, Testing Pyramid, High Performance & Scalability)
- Strong Java and Object-Oriented programming skills
- Solid grasp of Computer Science fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, etc.)
- Ability to own and carry out a project from requirements gathering to design, implementation, and delivery with little guidance
- Drive to collaborate with other engineers: coming to conversations with your own opinions and an openness to other ideas and suggestions
- Experience working with a variety of AWS offerings including serverless technologies such as Lambda, DynamoDB, Kinesis, S3, Athena, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, Fargate
- Experience building event-driven systems and leveraging persistent connections between clients and server
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.