Supervising Resident DirectorApply NowApply Later Job ID 791576BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Theatrical Group Date posted May 18, 2021
Disney Theatrical Group (DTG) is seeking a Resident Director for the Broadway Company of The Lion King. The Resident Director is an integral part of maintaining the direction, artistic aspects and energy of the daily running of the Broadway production of The Lion King. This person will work closely with the management and backstage teams.
Responsibilities:Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Upholding director Julie Taymor’s direction for The Lion King
- This person will work closely with the show’s International Associate Director, sharing regular updates, collaborating on cast changes and regular clean up visits and rehearsals.
- Maintain overall artistic quality of the production by working closely with the Resident Dance Supervisor, Music Director and Stage Management team
- Directing new cast members in the production and holding understudy rehearsals
- Observing the production on a regular basis
- Giving notes to the entire cast and rehearsing principals and understudies on an ongoing basis
- Attending production meetings and technical rehearsals as needed
- Providing advice and consultation to the Producer and General Manager regarding the Broadway production as a member of the show’s leadership team
- Overseeing or assisting with directorial-related issues in connection with special events relating to the Production, such as live press events of television appearances
- The Resident Director will be required to keep a traditional theatre schedule including some nights and weekends.
- Participating in equity, diversity & inclusion, anti-harassment, and any other anti-bias training and workshops as scheduled by the Producer.
- Other services that may be required of a Resident Director.
- Previous directing experience, ideally as a Resident or Assistant Director on a first-class production or large-scale Regional Theatre
- Ability to work closely with other creative individuals with respect and harmony.
- Possess a friendly, collaborative spirit with a passion for excellence.
- Great communication and leadership skills
- Commitment to actively being part of and supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to model and support the mission and values of The Walt Disney Company and Disney Theatrical Group by demonstrating inclusive behavior and maintaining a safe and professional working environment that fulfills Disney Theatrical Group’s diversity and inclusion efforts (e.g., recognizing and interrupting microagressions & biases, etc.).
Additional Information:DTG is committed to providing the highest quality opportunities for the widest, most diverse group of talented professionals throughout their career trajectory. We encourage applications from individuals whose backgrounds are currently underrepresented in the field of theater, inclusive of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity or expression, ability, and sexual orientation.
About Disney Theatrical Group:
The Disney Theatrical Group, a division of The Walt Disney Studios, is among the world’s most successful commercial theatre enterprises, producing and licensing live entertainment productions and events around the globe. Its nine Broadway titles, including the current Broadway productions of The Lion King, Aladdin and this year’s Frozen, have been seen by over 160 million theatergoers worldwide. The division also delivers live shows through its license to Feld Entertainment, producer of Disney on Ice and Marvel Universe Live. Additionally, the division licenses full-length and junior and kids adapted titles for regional, school and community theatre productions.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Theatrical Group Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Theatrical Group.
Buena Vista Theatrical Group Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.