Supervisor, Media Streaming Engineering
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 798952BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 10, 2021
Job Summary:Department/Group Overview:
The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department’s responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Live team provides technical and engineering support for our partner products, including workflow design and implementation, incident management and system health monitoring for live and VOD streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
As Supervisor, Media Streaming Engineering, you will lead a team that is responsible for the health and functionality of our live encoder and HLS packaging application within the production environment. Responsibilities include creating standard/documenting standard operations procedures as well as designing dashboards/alerts for monitoring purposes. Technical and operational support of audio/video distribution live encoding platforms Department leads will also look to you to provide ideas on workflow and support tool optimizations. This position requires a person with strong communication and analytic skills who has some managing experience.
- Dashboards & Alert Development
- Engineering Projects
- Maintenance and support of live encoder and packagers
- Documentation and training
- Team Scheduling and Managerial Tasks
- People management experience including creating work schedules that provide efficient support coverage.
- Strong multi-tasking abilities.
- Experience writing standard operating procedures and/or runbooks for a team
- Comfortable with Mac and Windows environments.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience working in a video OTT/broadcast environment.
- Intermediate knowledge of acquisition and/or OTT encoding distribution workflows.
- Comfortable working on Linux operating systems (CentOS)
- Comfortable working with DSS staff around the country.
- Knowledge of video codecs and compression, specifically H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC
- Experience with IP video delivery protocols (HLS, MPEG-TS via multicast, DASH)
- Experience working in mid-size to large data centers
- Strong host/configuration management skills
- Comfortable acting as a technical lead to other departments to address and resolve encoding issues.
- Basic understanding of IP networks
- Intermediate knowledge of video delivery over the leading content distribution networks
- Basic understanding of DAI workflows in a broadcast and OTT environment.
- Comfortable troubleshooting with Transport Stream and Elementary Stream analyzers
- Basic Linux BASH scripting experience
- Experience working with an enterprise, or workstation, encoding solution such as, AWS Elemental, Ateme Titan or Wowza Cloud.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.