System Reliability EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 667359BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted May. 10, 2019
Developer Productivity Engineering is a distributed team that owns internal tools used to deploy the services that make up Disney Streaming Service’s products. Built for AWS with a variety of open source software, our tools are used by dozens of engineering teams across the company. We strive to act as a productivity multiplier by offering our customers rich primitives for delivering their services, allowing them to focus more on product.
System Reliability Engineers fulfill a cross-functional role by driving the delivery of services through to production. Within Developer Productivity, you will help design and operate services to support exponential growth in Disney+ and ESPN+. You’ll also collaborate with other engineers to pave way for the future of infrastructure in AWS, moving beyond traditional practices. You should have a passion for systems engineering, monitoring & observability, and automation.
This position can be worked remotely, or from our locations in NYC and SF.
- Maintain, and improve, the reliability and operability of services
- Design systems to enable rapid development, high availability, and clear observability
- Write tools, and leverage open source, to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety and repeatability
- Troubleshoot and resolve performance and reliability issues across the stack, including cloud resources
- Collaborate with engineers to ensure services are designed to be cloud-native, scalable, and easily operated
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience writing software on, or operating, *nix platforms
- You’re a self-learner, independent, and have excellent problem-solving skills
- You care deeply about code craftsmanship and operational excellence
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have, but not required
- Experience with software containers (e.g. Docker, rkt, runC) and schedulers (e.g. ECS, Kubernetes, Nomad)
- You’ve directly impacted the reliability and availability of large-scale distributed systems
- Deep understanding of networking, especially routing and the IP stack
- You’ve deployed and operated geographically distributed, redundant services
- Engagement with open source communities
Technologies we love
- Languages: Go, Ruby, Bash
- Tools: Ansible, Docker, Git, Graphite, GraphQL, Jenkins, Logstash, Packer, Sensu
- Data stores: DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Redis
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; the upcoming Disney subscription video service; and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.