Video Quality Engineer
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 664200BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted May. 15, 2019
As a Video Quality Engineer you will work as an individual contributor in a small and dynamic team of video quality technicians to improve our video encoding pipeline and provide the highest quality experience to our end users. This team is tasked with designing and implementing procedures for assessing and classifying the encoded quality of a large library of content spanning more than 100 years. Through collaboration with media engineers and operations teams, you will study the impact of current codec implementations using programmatic analysis and "golden eyes" viewing of encoded content with the goal of improving the quality and reducing the bandwidth requirements of our video streams. This position requires a highly skilled individual with strong creative and analytic skills and passion for video quality, coding and processing technologies.
- Research new video analysis and encoding technologies
- Design and implement procedures for assessing video quality
- Conduct video quality experiments on existing content
- Contribute to optimization of video processing
- Knowledge of video compression standards such as avc, h264, hevc, h265, av1, etc
- Knowledge of advanced and emerging video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision
- Expertise with video coding and processing
- Expertise with video quality measurement (psnr, ssim, vmaf, movie, …)
- Familiarity with at least one programming language
- Ability to work constructively within a large organization
· Expertise with video and image coding principles, algorithms, and techniques
· Expertise with video compression standards, such as H.264, HEVC, AV1, etc.
· Experienced in assessing visual quality using both objective metrics and subjective techniques
· Solid understanding of video processing algorithms such as scaling, noise reduction, tone mapping, etc
· Solid understanding of advanced and emerging video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision
· Excellent problem solving, and debugging skills
· Programming skills or familiarity with a programming language preferred
· Familiarity with computer vision and/or machine learning technologies would be a plus
· Good written and oral communication skills
· Ability to work constructively within a large organization
· Able to identify visual quality artifacts
· Able to relate compression artifacts to encoding parameters
· Bachelors in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent, Masters preferred
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.