Already applied?View Dashboard
Visual Journalist/Web Developer II, FiveThirtyEightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 682979BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jun. 24, 2019
Job Summary:A Visual Journalist/Web Developer II at FiveThirtyEight works at the center of our newsroom, spending about half their time working on their own stories and half working on more collaborative projects. This role sits on the graphics team, working closely with FiveThirtyEight editors to produce high-impact journalism in sports, politics and other areas. We’re looking for someone with an eye for a compelling and important story, the quantitative skills to find it and the visual, writing and reporting skills to tell it.
- Pitch, report, design, write and develop stories that use charts, maps, interactive graphics, web applications and other visual forms.
- Work collaboratively on backend-heavy visual projects.
- Work with other visual journalists and editors to help conceive, develop, refine and produce graphics-driven stories.
- Help create tools for analyzing and visualizing data.
- At least 2 years of experience creating graphics in a newsroom environment.
- Strong news judgment, a solid understanding of current events, and a background in information design or news graphics.
- Demonstrated execution of a clean, elegant, and sophisticated aesthetic; an ability to visualize complex ideas in a clear, accurate, and intelligent manner.
- Solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts, including statistics.
- Experience using design software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign).
- Extraordinary attention to accuracy and detail.
- Extensive experience and expertise working with sports or politics data.
- Experience doing non-visual aspects of data-oriented journalism, including traditional reporting, writing and data analysis.
- Experience with statistical programming languages including R.
- Experience with cartography and mapping tools (QGIS, TopoJSON).
- Experience with modern, dynamic programming languages and frameworks (Python, Ruby, Node).
Required EducationBachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.