VP, Virtual Production and InnovationApply NowApply Later Job ID 837193BR Location New York, New York, United States; Los Angeles, California, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Jan. 13, 2022
Responsibilities include growing and managing a team of advanced Production Technology professionals with the goal of further establishing WDT as an industry leader in Virtual Production and Visual Effects innovation.* This role anticipates and responds to major technology changes; oversees ongoing development of key production technology initiatives such as virtual production and cloud-based production tools and resources. Focus on improving and innovating production pipelines in collaboration with creatives to maximize use of the studios’ internal facilities and resources and its external partners.
This leader of virtual production is responsible for overseeing and managing stage productions including client management, budgeting and scheduling. Partners and collaborates with ILM Virtual Production Supervisor on DTS inquiries, production education, stage requirements, demos and productions.
- Oversee strategy, implementation and P&L related to production technology - including initiatives and facilities designed to engage, educate and support studio employees and show based talent in advanced production technology capabilities.
- Partner with Virtual Production Engineering teams in planning and executing of technology development projects, ensuring that priorities are in line with show/project needs
- Grow and manage staff of Production Technology professionals in support of Creative, Production, Post Production, Visual Effects and Technology concerns.
- Identify and design practical applications and service delivery of advanced production tech across DTS in consultation with show creatives and cross functional studio divisions.
- Manage annual studio capital budgeting process for production technology. Advise on advanced technology expenses in departmental and production budgets.
- Keep a steady touch with what’s “new” in the industry. Manage development and implementation of emerging technology and production tools. Manage relationships with key vendor companies and individual freelancers.
- Develop and maintain best practices and policies - including data management and security.
- Be the Knowledge leader/point of contact for VIP demos and other deployment of volume and technology besides shooting.
- Form key partnerships with industry providers and innovators to maintain leading edge position production capabilities. Partner with multiple vendors, artists and leaders in groundbreaking technology to bring solutions to new DTS productions. Engage with ILM as the best in class world leader in Visual Effects, Virtual Production and CG World Building.*
- Advocate Production technology objectives and strategy with key industry standards-setting consortiums such as Entertainment Technology Council (ETC), Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers (SMPTE), Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI), Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences (AMPAS), American Society of Cinematographers (ASC).
- Partners with ILM Production and ILM Virtual Production Supervisor to generate an accurate estimate of the stage and/or on set labor needs.
- Responsible for managing stage bookings, usage and new business across DTS slate
- Provide internal and external clients with estimates of budget and schedule requirements to shoot on the volume.
- Source contract production services when needed i.e. Camera, Rigging, Grips, and Construction etc.
- Minimum 10 years of work experience in traditional film production department roles/activities or VFX.
- Demonstrated experience in a production or studio management role with strong leadership skills.
- Previous experience bidding and scheduling experience a plus.
- Must be a compelling communicator with a strong point of view and a proven ability to influence others through diplomacy.
- Must be able to articulate ideas effectively.
- Proven track record in leadership and mentorship of virtual production stage crews.
- Experience in a visual effects asset and shot production pipeline.
- Experience using digital content creating software.
- Strong comprehension of the concepts, practices, and procedures used in visual effects and film production.
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner
- Bachelor's Degree
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Touchstone Television Productions, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
Touchstone Television Productions, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.