Counsel – Consumer Products, Games and PublishingApply NowApply Later Job ID 983263BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States / Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted May 18, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
This position supports the consumer products, games and publishing business unit within the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment of The Walt Disney Company and primarily supports ecommerce and wholesale business teams, the franchise marketing and marketing strategy teams as well as content production. As such, the successful candidate must be comfortable with handling diverse legal, regulatory, and compliance issues, and have the judgment to know when to elevate issues to senior attorneys in the department and legal subject matter experts. The successful candidate must also be adept at briefing business clients at all levels, including executives, on complex legal issues.
We are looking for a candidate who reflects the innovative spirit and creative talent that defines the Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment—the segment that brings the magic of The Walt Disney Company’s powerful brands and franchises—including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, ESPN, Twentieth Century Studios and National Geographic—into the daily lives of families and fans around the world to create magical memories that last a lifetime.
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of contracts, including supplier/vendor agreements, talent agreements in connection with content and event production, and services agreements
- Analyze contracts in response to business unit questions, as well as provide necessary contractual/research information to supervisor (to assist in assessing options and risks associated with each option)
- Provide advice to business executives on legal issues relating to direct-to-consumer retail matters, sourcing and vendor engagement, wholesale sales and flexible business model arrangements and related activities
- Advise attorneys and business clients on legal & regulatory issues (e.g., competition law, consumer protection, privacy, product safety) and related company policies.
- Collaborate with subject-matter experts within Disney (e.g., privacy, tax, intellectual property, technology, product integrity/safety and international labor standards)
- Perform such other responsibilities as may be deemed necessary in support of Consumer Products, Games and Publishing
- At least 3 years of significant legal experience in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or an in-house corporate legal department
- Excellent drafting, negotiation, and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well in a team environment and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, identify and analyze complex issues, assess potential risk and impact and devise creative solutions and strategies. Must have a commercial and solution- oriented mind-set, and must be willing to take ownership of projects and think proactively
- Ability to evaluate and reconcile issues from the business-unit and enterprise-level perspective
- Exceptional organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to work under deadlines and execute efficiently against multiple, high-priority and high-volume projects with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work in an environment with a high degree of confidentiality
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating a wide variety of intellectual property-related contracts, agreements, and related documentation.
- Experience supporting clients engaged in marketing activities.
- Experience supporting clients in the entertainment industry.
- Experience supporting e-commerce and other Omnichannel activities.
- Law degree (JD or equivalent) from an accredited law school
- Admission to the Florida State Bar or willingness and qualification to be a Florida Authorized House Counsel
Additional Information:This role will be based in Lake Buena Vista, FL.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.