PH-Show Lighting Designer, SrApply NowApply Later Job ID 948511BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States / Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Apr. 25, 2022
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
The WDI Show Lighting Department provides lighting designs for all areas our guests see when they enter our parks. This includes lighting for attractions, retail spaces, restaurant spaces, display areas, landscape, facades and area development. The staff of the Show Lighting Department interface and support other WDI divisions and departments within our parks including Creative, Architectural, Engineering, Show Art, Show Ride, Park Operations and Park Maintenance. Through the medium of light, it is the mission of the Show Lighting Department to create highly entertaining environments in which the magic of each Disney story is possible.
- Support the design implementation and lighting installation effort as directed by the Principal lighting design leads for the project
- Interfaces and coordinates with other show related disciplines
- Support mock-ups and presentations including set-ups and strikes
- programming of show related lighting control and light levels
- Document the implemented design
- Perform test and adjust tasks
- Communicate Show Lighting design concepts
- Perform primary work with electrical engineering disciplines to insure placement of lighting design on electrical drawings
- Direct or support field implementation of Show Lighting design
- Supports the design implementation and lighting installation effort for the project interfacing and coordinating with other show related disciplines
- Create Show Lighting work strategy
- Develop Show Lighting database, schedule, dimmer panels, Show Lighting drawings
- Direct in field implementation of Show Lighting design
- Participate in department projects
- 5 plus years experience in related professional environment required
- Previous experience in the technical aspects of Theater Arts and its associated skills
- Will read architectural blueprints and interpret electrical drawings
- Proficiency with CAD drafting programs both 2D and 3D
- Familiar with the use of standard theatrical documentation (focus charts, fixture schedules, dimmer/control schedules)
- Have working understanding of the theatrical applications of light (focus, color, texture, highlight and shadow, key and fill)
- Have a basic to advanced understanding of the electrical configuration of theatrical dimming systems and its control and LED/RGB infrastructure
- Professional lighting designer/assistant, able to produce designs which reflect both the theatrical and environmental nature of a WDI product
- Working knowledge of architectural and facility requirements and integration of specific discipline products into an attraction
- Understanding of the creative process and the development of a creative design
- Organizational skills including development of budgets and schedule
- Participate in high pressure environment with strict schedule deadlines
- Take ownership and accept responsibility for all aspects of product as presented to Disney's guests
- Current knowledge of new and developing technologies in field
Required EducationHigh School Diploma
Additional Information:This role is located in Lake Buena, Florida Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.