Product Design Hardlines/SoftlinesApply NowApply Later Job ID 860484BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Sep. 10, 2021
Responsible for single or multiple categories in hardlines/softlines product design working with an internal design team and across multiple external licensees and vendors. Create, monitor and maintain quality of assigned product categories from concept through production through story, color, materials, form and function of products. Collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure the highest quality, consumer focused, trend-right product lines across all channels of distribution (licensing, flex business models, vertical and wholesale) that build brand equity and meet financial targets
This posting is a talent pool for upcoming roles within Consumer Products, Games & Publishing. We will be considering talent from within this pool to fill multiple levels (e.g. Assistant, Associate, Manager, and Senior Manager).
- Concept, design, sketch, prototype (including managing art-to-product, 3D modeling, sample creation, fit sessions, and electronic breadboards, where applicable), deliver and present trend-right consumer centric product lines that feature market-leading innovation and great price/value for each tier of the value pyramid
- Execute product and licensed packaging approvals through online systems and collaborative approval meetings, ensuring high quality standards in character execution, in-depth storytelling, color, material, form and function while maximizing profitability, and onboard new partners
- Develop and design product mock-ups, compile line sheets for line reviews, layout creative presentations, and retail pitch decks
- Manage an internal team to Concept, design, sketch, prototype (including managing art-to-product, 3D modeling, sample creation, fit sessions, and electronic breadboards, where applicable) and deliver trend-right consumer centric product lines that feature market-leading innovation and great price/value for each tier of the value pyramid
- Manage and execute product and licensed packaging approvals through online systems and collaborative approval meetings, ensuring high quality standards in character execution, in-depth storytelling, color, material, form and function while maximizing profitability
- Manage multiple external vendors to develop product concepts against strategic design vision for the overall product or assortment mix to deliver trend-right consumer centric product lines and execute product and packaging approvals ensuring high quality standards
- Develop and coach best-in-class design talent through consistent feedback on performance and provide regular development and coaching
- Collaborate with internal partners (Creative Design, Brand Merchandising, Licensing Commercialization, Sourcing and Tech Design, BERGs, CBM, Legal, Business Affairs, Product Integrity, Integrated Retail, BPM, Public Affairs, D&I teams, Cultural Consultants) and external partners (Studios & Disney Channel Content Providers, Games, Publishing, WDI, Licensees, DTR Partners) to design and approve all products
- Collaborate with product design and creative teams to drive up-front trends, overall creative direction and identify future areas of growth within the franchise and across product categories, including preparation of custom design tools and retail pitches to differentiate by category
- Collaborate with Global Product Design teams
- Prepare creative/product retail custom design tools and pitches to differentiate by category
- Monitor competitors, product innovation and market dynamics
- Onboard new Licensees, DTR, halo partners globally and locally
- Manage operating budget for category
- Multi-task and prioritize multiple design projects, running simultaneously with varying levels of complexity
- Multiple years of relevant experience
- Extensive knowledge in hardlines/softlines categories (raw materials, plastic, textiles, print, pattern, graphic composition, manufacturing)
- Prior experience leading and managing, managing up to senior leaders and across with peers and partners (for people manager roles)
- Experience acting as a bridge between execution and strategy; to translate strategy into action
- Experience taking ownership of business results
- Experience as a day-to-day decision maker
- Experience in influencing key partners and stakeholders
- Able to filter through complex issues, find solutions, gain support and implement change
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong product design skills (e.g. 3D product design, technical design, sketching, creative application and manipulation of art, final mechanical art, fabric and trim identification)
- Strong computer software skills (e.g. MS Office, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field (e.g. industrial design, toy design, fashion design)
Additional Information:Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Global Product Development and Creative, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Disney Global Product Development and Creative, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.