Senior Manager – Data Science and Engineering Platform Operations
Orlando, Florida, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 773843BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Mar. 18, 2021
Job Summary:“We make magic.” That’s our motto at Disney Parks, Experiences and Products (DPEP). And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
As the Senior Manager of Data Science and Engineering Platform Operations, you will be responsible for maintaining and transforming Big Data and Business Intelligence platforms supporting multiple Lines of Businesses (Theme Parks, Resorts, Cruiselines, Signature Experiences, Vacation Club, Consumer Products, Digital Experiences, Publishing and Licensing) within the Disney enterprise.
- Define strategic technical direction for Parks Data Platform. Establish a formal technical advisory committee with stakeholders to synthesize and prioritize platform capabilities over 3-year roadmap
- Lead Technology evaluation, trade-offs and roadmap to justify and direct key technology decisions/investments.
- Define appropriate governance and support metrics to measure continuous improvement. Manage quarterly reviews and communication, updating targets as key outcomes are achieved.
- Drive cloud migration of legacy OLAP systems. Establish and lead a cross-functional executive steering committee to address stakeholders’ concerns and expectations.
- Consolidate the platform team’s key roles and processes for governance, support and Release Management.
- Ensure high availability of business critical data pipelines (streaming and batching), ML models and reports. Manage resiliency, redundancy and scalability of big-data operations in Hadoop/AWS infrastructure. Set up and run proactive monitoring, alerting and auto-healing of known/unknown faults in the system. Manage all (people, process and technology) aspects of high functioning data platform operations.
- Manage the lifecycle of various platform features from inception to retirement. Streamline and simplify onboarding/offboarding processes with high degree of self-service capabilities.
- Mitigate risk by establishing and enforcing formal policies and guidelines for the data platform including but not limited to: data security, privacy, overall governance and operational service requirements.
- Drive clarity and alignment by partnering with peer technology organizations. Collaborate and create synergies with other Disney data platforms (Disney+, Studios, ESPN, Enterprise Tech etc.)
- Develop a team of expert troubleshooters, analytical thinkers and problem solvers. Lead by example. Rally cross-functional and globally distributed teams to resolve mission critical problems. Build a culture of proactive over reactive solutions. Foster continual learning of emerging tools and technologies in the fast changing Big Data and Machine Learning landscape.
- Take accountability for continuous organizational transformation through skill evaluation, training, mentoring or other formal /informal mechanisms.
- 10+ years’ experience in Information Technology with 5+ years as a senior level manager demonstrating experience in resource management, financial planning, vendor management and technology delivery/operations.
- Experience with building and leading medium sized teams of engineers and architects (15-20 FTE) relying on both direct ownership and indirect accountability from supporting teams to deliver results.
- Demonstrated experience with large scale infrastructure automation and metric-driven continuous improvement.
- Knowing the technology is critical, as you will need to present effectively at all levels. Along with conducting technical deep-dives with the team, you will also be a presenter at quarterly town halls and speak for the achievements, vision and the overall progress of the organization. You must be able to present complex technology concepts in a simple manner to senior technology leadership (C Level Execs)
- 3+ years’ experience in cloud infrastructure management, capacity planning and reliability engineering.
- Proficiency in modern big-data technologies (Hadoop stack, Redshift, Snowflake, etc.) and AWS architecture, security, and cloud-native streaming, ELT, storage and compute tools.
- Experience with design, development and orchestration of data pipelines in batch and real-time modes.
- Experience with design, development and maintenance of shared components and frameworks.
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence tools and no code/low code data platforms.
- Ability to lead teams with compassion, collaboration, openness and a growth mindset. Nurture diversity, inclusion and innovation.
- Experience with cloud migration of large-scale legacy applications reducing Total Cost of Ownership.
- Working knowledge of serverless and containerized architectures.
- Expertise in CI/CD and infrastructure-as-a-code automation.
- Hands-on big data analytics using SQL, Python, PySpark.
- Domain knowledge in hospitality, travel and retail sectors.
- Familiarity with implementing DevOps and MLOps in a large enterprise.
- Proficiency with various data governance, accounting and privacy laws.
- Familiarity with hybrid-cloud and multi-cloud environments.
- Ability to tell stories using data.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science/Engineering, or related experience
- MIS, MBA
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.