Sr Decision ScientistApply NowApply Later Job ID 975725BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States / Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted May 08, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
The Decision Science team resides within the Disney Decision Science + Integration (DDSI) organization. DDSI provides internal consulting services for clients across The Walt Disney Company. The DDSI team sits at the intersection of business strategy, advanced analytics, and technology integration to help our partners explore opportunities for analytics, shape business decisions, and drive value. Our work includes conceptualizing new solutions, solution design and development, implementation and integration with business processes, and ongoing business support.
The Senior Decision Scientist will perform analytical consultation and tasks centered around scientific modeling, based on distinction in breadth or depth of technical knowledge.
- Achieve business goals and objectives—Research and develop decision science models and act as a consultant to all business units within The Walt Disney Company
- Pursue innovation—Conduct research on analytical techniques and translate that research into usable and sustainable solutions for users
- Put your skills to the test—Perform data collection and data mining, and build state-of-the-art decision science algorithms, tools, and systems
- Drive value—Model and analyze revenue management and pricing related issues using various mathematical, statistical, and simulation techniques
- Tell the story—Present science results to business partners and clients
- Support a global and enterprise-wide mission—Identify and apply best practices in the field of advanced analytics for multiple businesses such as theme parks and resorts (e.g. Walt Disney World), Disney Cruise Line, media (e.g. ABC, ESPN), movies (e.g. Walt Disney Animation Studios), live shows (e.g. Disney on Broadway), and retail (e.g. shopDisney)
- 1 or more years of related/relevant experience
- Ability to work with little guidance on science methodologies and modeling approaches, based on sound business acumen
- Ability to provide peer leadership to junior colleagues
- Must exhibit competence in at least one of the following four analytical fields, inclusive of topics as noted:
- Statistics (two or more topics):
- Bayesian statistics
- Generalized linear models
- Mixture models
- Nonparametric regression
- Structural equation models
- Time series (state space models, ARIMA, etc.)
- Optimization (at least one topic):
- Decision analysis or multiple criteria decision making
- Mixed-integer optimization
- Nonlinear optimization
- Stochastic optimization
- Discrete-event simulation and stochastic models
- Econometrics (two or more topics):
- Generalized method of moments
- Instrumental variables
- Limited dependent variables
- Panel data
- Simultaneous equations models
- Machine learning (two or more topics):
- Graphical models
- Neural networks
- Random forests
- Reinforcement learning
- Support vector machines
- Statistics (two or more topics):
- Must exhibit competence in at least one computing topic:
- General computing (Python, Java, C, C++, etc.)
- Statistical computing (R, SAS, etc.)
- Scientific computing (Julia, MATLAB, etc.)
- Proven knowledge of revenue management context, including demand forecasting, resource allocation, and pricing
- Familiarity with software development tools such as GitLab/GitHub, Docker, and cloud computing tools such as AWS
- Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Econometrics, or related field
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.