Lake Buena Vista, FL - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 714560BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States; Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted 30/10/2019
Job Summary:The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
This position will report to the Director, Technology supporting Disney Signature Experiences; the Technical Director of Solution Engineering provides technical solutions, design and estimation of initiatives across Online, Mobile and Core Systems.
This role provides managerial oversight to solution architects as well as full lifecycle technical leadership to delivery initiatives as it relates to optimizing solutions to meet business demand. This position uses expert level knowledge of multiple technology platforms and disciplines and a detailed understanding of how they are deployed within our lines of business (Resort, Vacation Ownership and Cruise) to justify and direct key technology decisions.
Knowing the Technology will be important, as you will also need to be able to present effectively to all levels and businesses. You will be a presenter at quarterly town halls and speak for the achievements of the organization, accomplishments and future vision and the overall progress. You must be able to present complicated technology concepts in a simple manner, and present key technology challenges or overviews with Senior technology leadership (C Level Execs).
● Provides technical leadership for the solution and design of key projects, promoting simplicity and right-size scale of solutions
● Build and maintain trusting partnerships with business and technology leaders
● Drives down technology cost by promoting reuse and componentization
● Researches and implements practices that contribute to a lean organization
● Contributes to budgetary and planning activities
● Develops and maintains departmental budget and ensures adherence therein.
● Shepherds, challenges, and defends technology estimates through the funding and approval process.
● Maintains communication of the project portfolio throughout engineering teams to promote inclusivity across disciplines and assure operational readiness.
● Creates and maintains a training plan to ensure consistency in Solution Engineering Adoption
● Builds a Solution Engineering practice that prides itself on designing simple solutions and empowers teams that hold each other to a higher standard.
● Validates the quality of technology deployed across the portfolio and is empowered to intervene and provide direction when technical standards fall short.
● Ensures Operational Readiness of solutions by conducting technical reviews to assure that implementations align with initial solution
● Develops and Implements increasingly higher standards for performance, uptime, and resilience and builds these standards into solutions
● Documents the reference architecture and standards that are appropriate for the portfolio.
● Pushes forward the adoption of reference architectures while capitalizing on the investments in existing solutions.
● Engineers right-sized solutions that promote best practices, minimize complexity and architectural layers and deliver business value
● Provides technical guidance and best practices for compliance and privacy.
● Demonstrates year over year improvement in uptime, performance, and Guest (technical) satisfaction with solutions implemented ● Promotes the development and exploitation of technical knowledge and skills.
● Research and application of ideas that lead to business and technical improvements through pilots and proof of concept development.
● Maintains current and future state diagrams and technical currency roadmaps.
● Act as a liason to the segment and organization technology teams. Facilitates various forums that promote collaboration and knowledge sharing.
● Maintains high levels of technical knowledge through ongoing research and development activities. May sponsor small technology task forces to research and potentially develop new technologies or practices.
● Maintains awareness of best practices and emerging technologies and their viability within the organization.
● Work with business and technology executives to proactively understand demand and provide architecture guidance needed for road mapping and planning
● Provides thought leadership in the development of strategy, design, and best practices
Basic Qualifications:● Strong understanding of technologies and practices of the Cruise, theme park and resort industries, back-of-house technologies, and end-to-end guest interaction.
● Innovative mindset: researches and pilots ideas that lead to business and technical improvements.
● Experience in building large scale web applications or web-services leveraging Java/ JEE technologies
● Expert in technology research & development methods and tools, while demonstrating ability to sponsor and lead multi- disciplined efforts
● Expert level knowledge of technology product evaluation and selection including web and mobile architecture
● Demonstrates Strong people management skills; with an ability to inspire, mentor, and develop a highly motivated team
● Ability to work collaboratively with technical, and non-technical Cast across the organization at all levels
● Demonstrated exceptional critical thinking, strategic planning, and process management skills
● Excellent written and verbal communicator
● Proven ability to successfully manage vendor relationships
● Expert in technology consulting and leading teams of technical resources
● 10-15 years technology experience
Preferred Qualifications:● 10-15 years technology experiences
● Experience in Cruise, Vacation Ownership, Lodging and Hospitality Technology
● Experience with RFID technology for Guest facing use-cases.
● Experience with emerging technologies and IoT.
● Ability to perceive patterns and relationships between technologies, processes, and business models.
Required EducationBachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.