Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
WDI Master Planning GIS Internship - Orlando, FL - Fall 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 628205BR Location Orlando, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jan. 11, 2019
“We Change Lives.” Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
The Master Planning Studio stewards the master planning process, communicates key data and context for planning decisions, and contributes to projects through smart planning advice and support enabling the full development potential for our resorts. The Master Planning studio focuses on five key areas of expertise: Land Planning, Urban & Regional Planning, Transportation & Infrastructure planning, Environmental Planning & Permitting, and Real Estate Development & Entitlements.
What we’re looking for…
An intern who will focus mainly on Geographic Information System (GIS) data management. Additional Master Planning efforts, ranging from Land Planning, Urban & Regional Planning and Transportation & Infrastructure will be a smaller percentage of the efforts for this position.
- Provide design and analysis documentation in the form of graphic illustrations, imagery, boards, color renderings and research and documentation on assigned projects
- Analyze data and prepare GIS maps for land-use planning efforts
- Work in an Enterprise GIS environment creating, editing data, and configuring geodatabases
- Using LiDAR and other information resources, assist in developing a GIS database and inventory of existing WDW Parks & Resorts resources collaborating with the Master Planning Studio
- Coordinate activities that will involve the ability to multi-task and communicate effectively between multiple teams regarding master planning tasks
- Provide master planning and analysis summaries in the form of technical reports, maps, and research on assigned projects
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
- Understanding of land planning and urban development concepts
- Experience with Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Knowledge of ESRI software products and understanding of cartographic design, GIS map creation, and feature/attribute editing
- Experience with Autodesk CAD software, with ability to process CAD data for import/export into GIS systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in relevant computer software applications, i.e. Microsoft Office (including Excel and PowerPoint), ArcGIS 10.3 and Adobe Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), 3D Studio Max, SketchUp, or Revit
- Ability to quickly adapt to a fast-paced work environment, work independently and diligently perform and execute tasks in a timely manner
- Ability to generate, with clarity, correspondence regarding complex issue
- Detail-orientated, and able to quality check documents
- Well-organized in work preparation for self and others, providing a positive work environment to facilitate the completion and execution of work plans and projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication (please have writing samples available)
- Exceptional visual communication (please have portfolio of GIS maps & work samples available
- Currently Senior or graduate level student or have graduated within the past 6 months
- Valid Driver’s License required
- A portfolio review is required for this position. For full consideration, please include a link to your portfolio on your résumé. Applicants without a portfolio link on their résumé, will not be considered a completed application packet and may not be fully considered for the position.
- Membership in relevant professional organization(s) such as American Planning Association (APA), National Association of Environmental Professionals (NAEP), Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS), Ecological Society of America (ESA), American Association of Geographers (AAG), Society for Conservation GIS, GIS Certification Institute (GISP), etc.
- Professional experience in Geographic Information Systems, Regional Land and/or Urban Planning/Design and/or Landscape Architecture Firm
- Senior or graduate student from an accredited college/university with advanced studies in Geographic Information Systems, Urban Regional Planning/Design, Landscape Architecture or related field/concentration
Additional Information:Materials Required:
College transcripts (official or unofficial) - Please upload your transcript while completing the online application
To upload this document:
- Log into your dashboard at www.DisneyInterns.com
- Click the second tab "Applications"
- Select "Submitted Applications"
- Click on the title of the position for which you would like to attach the transcript
- Click the "Add Files" button
- Under what do you want to add, select Transcript
- Be sure your document is titled in this format: FirstName_LastName_Transcript
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months of the start date of the internship for which you are applying for OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
The approximate dates of this internship are June 2019 through January 2020. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.