Senior Attorney (Media/Original Productions) - FranceApply NowApply Later Job ID 771777BR Location Paris, Île-de-France Region, France Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Jan. 21, 2021
The candidate should be experienced and able to assist the Assistant Regional Counsel in negotiating with various sectorial stakeholders (e.g.; Producers/CMOs/Regulators).
Must be comfortable with challenging norms and finding ways to create efficiencies for this high volume team in order to remain nimble, accomplish the company’s objectives. The candidate will also be responsible for overseeing matters that arise throughout the production process and making judgment calls that align with the company’s long term objectives. The ideal candidate must be very comfortable counselling and collaborating with internal and external business partners, producers, production counsel and production partners and making decisions that have both legal and business impact. Excellent written and drafting skills in English and French are a must.
- Legal / business Advisor, supporting the Creative and Business Commercial Affairs teams with negotiations of developments, pre-buys, productions and co-productions.
- Advises on appropriate deal terms to be secured throughout EMEA and liaises with teams to ensure consistency of approach throughout the Region.
- Advises on current industry deal terms for the engagement of writers, directors, talent, crew and all aspects of live action production.
- Having and maintaining detailed knowledge of French terms for the engagement of talent, cast and crew. Strong awareness of US deal-making and unions. Ability to work with outside counsel, giving instructions and taking advice- working across a range of projects.
- Maintaining detailed knowledge of international co-production treaties.
- Supervising and clearance arrangements including script review, set visits, props/artwork clearance. Familiarity with location, post-production and all other production agreements.
- Monitors and advises on developments in UK and EU laws and regulation.
- Monitors Industry/Technical developments and CNC (especially with regards to compliance with regulation and state aids)/CSA/CSPLA rules and doctrines.
- Coordinates Legal activities in line with agreed service delivery levels.
- Fosters a ‘continuous improvement’ culture within the team, ensuring processes, policies and procedures sufficiently protect the business from current and future risk, while reducing the cost of service provision where possible.
- Strengthens internal and external relationships in ways that benefit the business.
Works closely with SVOD/DTC and Channels Business to develop negotiating strategy and deal structure, optimizing potential rights structures. Covers all product genres and windows within assigned territories.
Supports Programming teams to structure and negotiate co-productions and pre-purchase of rights.
Industry & Policy Evaluation
Coordinates with the Legal teams across territories to maintain a current awareness of developments in the industry and in international legal policy. Takes steps to evaluate the impact of market/industry developments, and drives dissemination of this information across the business so the organisation may remain proactive.
- Significant experience, preferably both private practice and in-house, of live action scripted television programme production
- Demonstrable working knowledge of relevant law and EC regulatory issues eg relating to copyright matters and directives affecting programme production
- Knowledge and working experience of EC quotas and tax incentives/treaties
- Proven team management/ leadership experience
- Contract, Commercial and Intellectual Property Law
- Television production and broadcast industry experience
- Master 2
- Qualified as Avocat with a successful experience with a top ranked international law firm
- LL.M. UK/USA
- Business School Degree
- and as Company lawyer, Member of lawyer association regulated by a code of ethics (i.e.; AFJE/Cercle Montesquieu)
- Exemplarily ethical
- Contract, IP and/or Media Law specialisation/expertise (in-house or private practice)
- Knowledge of European Law
- Self-starter and self-supporting
- Good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to manage and prioritize instructions from multiple sources, and work under pressure and to deadlines
- Methodical and meticulous
- Focus on accuracy at all times in drafting
- Communication of Legal matters to non-legal audience
- Highly fluent in English (and legal English)
Additional Information:The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to be a diverse workforce that is representative of our audiences, and where all can thrive and belong. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney +, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company (France) S.A.S., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.