Data Journalism FellowApply NowApply Later Job ID 773496BR Location Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Business Walt Disney Television, ABC News Date posted Feb. 08, 2021
- Identify, acquire and analyze data sets of potential interest to WPVI and ABC OTV.
- Report revelatory news stories that serve our communities and hold local leaders accountable. Data journalists on the ABC OTV data team are not just gathering numbers to hand off to other reporters, but rather working in collaboration with producers, reporters, investigators and others to get to the bottom of important stories.
- Collaborate with reporters and producers, across multiple newsrooms, to develop broadcast, streaming and digital content based in data, but supported by context and people-first storytelling.
- Be an advocate and resource for data journalism within WPVI and ABC OTV.
- Collaborate with videographers, editors, graphic artists and digital producers to bring data to life on television – and on all digital and emerging platforms.
- Ability to write quickly and accurately and with an eye for brevity and clarity.
- Established competence with using Excel and advanced data analysis platforms to develop news stories from data; experience in coding and data visualization are a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively across newsrooms and disciplines.
- Self-starter able to work independently and to hone news judgment and story sense.
- Technical aptitude to learn new software skills, including programming and automation.
- Understanding of the importance of local accountability and solutions journalism.
- Detail-oriented in handling of large datasets, with a focus on accuracy and fairness.
- Up to date on developments, trends and tools in the data journalism space.
- Track record, documented by work samples, of delivering high-impact local journalism.
- Experience working in a local newsroom environment and passion for local journalism. An academic newsroom environment is acceptable, if it resulted in public-facing work
- Experience working in a video or television news environment is a plus.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience
- Degree or equivalent work experience demonstrating data journalism proficiency.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
ABC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.