Already applied?View Dashboard
Manager - TV News OperationsApply Now Apply Later Job ID 668548BR Location Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted May. 20, 2019
Job Summary:WPVI-TV News Operations Manager
WPVI-TV, the local news leader in Philadelphia, is seeking to hire a News Operations Manager that will support the news operation and help lead the department in the next era of newsgathering. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a multi-platform news environment, gathering and delivering content with multiple technologies.
- Manage the logistical/technical operations of the news department including the management, scheduling, and news gathering functions of the following news personnel: Media managers, editors, photographers, and transmission operators
- Troubleshoot technical issues and provide operational support for news personnel
- Maintain skill and proficiency of news staff by developing and implementing regular training exercises
- Work closely with News Director and Director of Technology/Engineering on capital initiatives and future-proofing the news operation
- Function as technical liaison between news and Broadcast Technology/Engineering departments
- Coordinate live, remote events with news, programming, and engineering departments
- Interface with third party vendors and support technicians
- Adhere to Disney policies and best practices for a broadcast/news environment
Qualifications & Requirements
The ideal candidate must:
- Possess strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Be able to function efficiently in a modern, fast-paced newsroom environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage changing priorities and deadlines under pressure.
- Understand and have experience with modern news-gathering and transmission technologies (live streaming, bonded cellular, IP over KU-band satellite, accelerated data transfer services).
- Show a desire to expand their knowledge with the latest technology in news gathering.
A minimum of 5 years experience managing employees in a major television market, 10 years preferred
Experience with the following is a plus:
- Dalet Galaxy (Media Asset Management system) and OneCut
- Ross Overdrive and Xpression
- ENG/SNG gathering vehicles and technologies (Microwave, satellite, bonded cellular, etc.)
- Adobe Creative Software Products
A degree in a RTF related field and/or equivalent experience.
WPVI-TV is a 24/7 operation and the candidate may be required to work non-traditional shifts, weekends/holidays, and be willing to be on call and/or work extra hours as needed. Candidate should be able to lift and carry equipment as necessary.
Additional Information:This position is located at WPVI-TV in Philadelphia, PA. EEO/F/M/V/D/SO/GI
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
ABC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.